Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, Since the government is giving me and my wife 2400 bucks I am considering the purchase of a Spolar reloader. I don't have a lot of room in my garage so I have to move the reloader onto my bench to use it, and then store it in another location. I use that same bench for a lot of things. My concern is the weight of the unit and how cumbersome it might be to move around. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I should mention that I use a MEC Automate now.

I hope this WuFlu "shelter at home" goes away soon or I may have to go back to work to afford all the things I want to do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Based on the fact you have given this is not the loader for you. It is heavy and would be awkward to move, it really needs to stay fixed. It also require a certain amount of depth (22 or 26 inches, can't remember).

I was in a similar situation as you. I ended up with a rolling tool box that had wood on the top. I put additional wood on it to get the required thickness (they recommend either 3/4 or an 1 inch). The issue I have is that it I did not cut a hole in the tool box to drop the shells.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I have a Spolar hydraulic and Mec 9000E. Both make a great shell. Spolar and portable just don't mix, so based on that alone I would stick with the Mec. The automate unit will move around easily, and while not near the machine of the Spolar, makes a great reload. Can't say any of my targets knew which machine made the shell that did it in.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
I believe the Spolar tips the scale at 70# so not a unit you want to lift. I know of one person that used thick heavy block of aluminum as a mounting plate so that the loader can be slid out of the way in Liu of a fixed location on his bench.My pal runs the loader manually & due to the plates weight it is very stable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Funny how great minds think alike. I too thought the government’s check might be the perfect excuse to get the reloader I have so often thought about. My problem is not space or weight but how to convince my wife that this is essential to our future well being. My first argument might be a Spolar is at least 7 times faster than my present PW 375 and therefore I would be spending a lot less time in the basement and could spend more time with her. I not sure she is going to buy that line. My second thought was that since she doesn’t really believe the government is going to deposit any money in our bank account, I should make her a bet that if $2,400 does show up in our bank account in the next 10 days I get to buy my reloader. If the money doesn’t show up she can spend that much decorating the house and I won’t complain. I’m not sure I have enough faith in the government to make that bet. Any suggestions on what else might convince a spouse of 50 years that we need a new Spolar?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I switched last year from MEC Automate to a SPolar, with Electric Drive. One thing I do miss about the Automate is that it is easily moved, or slid out of the way!

In my opinion, for your situation, you should not switch.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the great comments. I am going to take everyones advice and stick with my Automate. Thanks to advice on an earlier post, it seems to have stopped blowing out the bottom of a couple of hulls per hundred.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Joe, what was the culprit ?
Well, I'm not 100% sure. I raised the pre crimp, adjusted the nut on the bottom of the hyd. cylinder to adjust travel, had a new shell lifter in the spare parts box, so I replaced that, and cleaned, relubed, and poked things again. Sometimes I count on FM to get things fixed. I realized that a lot of people are very precise and would have done it differently, but that's not me. And since I have over 4000 shells reloaded, and out of hulls, I think I'll box the unit up and send it to MEC for a complete servicing. That would be a good use of the government stimulus money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts