Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any big performance difference for skeet between the side kicks 2.0 and companion set? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I have a set of 30 inch Briley companions & a set of Sidekicks, both are 20 gauge. I bought the sidekicks so I could shoot 20 gauge in my guns with shorter than 30 inch barrels. I shoot 20 gauge 3/4 ounce loads for skeet. I can't tell a difference in my breaks between one or the other. I have patterned both but not as a in depth study but merely to see if they shoot where I am looking. The sidekicks will dirty up your 12 ga barrel a bit but no biggie, you have to clean your gun anyway.

I like mine and for the price I don't see how you can beat them I got mine for $296 with free shipping. Made a believer out of some of the guys at the club.

Colonel

·
Banned
933 Posts
At skeet range targets Sidekicks are fine in 20 and 28 gauge. Useless in .410. They are dirty even in the 2.0 version, lots of blowback. For sporting they are marginal even in 20 gauge. They have no chokes. The chokes in the gun have little impact. Make sure the shells you use will extract. AA, STS, Estate and Federal all extracted fine in mine. Euro shells not so much. I sent mine back and upgraded to full length Ultralights. Sidekicks are fine for just casual shooting, not competition.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
They are dirty even in the 2.0 version, lots of blowback.
I use a little Teflon plumbers tape at the taper to make them fit snug. Not perfect, but it helps with the blow back.

Reactions: vatrap and Cheetah

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
At skeet distances, 20ga and 28ga are fine. In .410, the pattern is probably less even, but I think it still works for practice/messing around. I'm not sure how much it helps, but I use tighter 12ga chokes for each gauge, so for 20ga, I'll use IC, for 28ga, Modified, and for .410, I'll use Full. If you're shooting Registered and/or someone who shoots 98-100 all the time, you'll definitely want full length tubes in .410.
Yeah, there's some blowback with the Sidekick 2.0s that'll make your barrel dirty, especially in .410, but just get a Tico Tool and swab it out at the end of the day and you'll be fine...no big deal.

Since sporting usually involves some shots at longer distances, the 20ga *might* work, but you would definitely want full length tubes in 28ga and .410.

Pro tip: ALWAYS remove your tubes at the end of the day; do NOT just leave them in your barrels! The tubes and barrel cool at different rates, which can lead to condensation forming between the barrel and the subgauge tube...which can lead to rusting/pitting in a surprisingly short amount of time. I now take them out (full length and Sidekicks) and give it a couple passes with a Tico Tool before putting it in the safe. Learn from my mistake.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a set of 30 inch Briley companions & a set of Sidekicks, both are 20 gauge. I bought the sidekicks so I could shoot 20 gauge in my guns with shorter than 30 inch barrels. I shoot 20 gauge 3/4 ounce loads for skeet. I can't tell a difference in my breaks between one or the other. I have patterned both but not as a in depth study but merely to see if they shoot where I am looking. The sidekicks will dirty up your 12 ga barrel a bit but no biggie, you have to clean your gun anyway.

I like mine and for the price I don't see how you can beat them I got mine for $296 with free shipping. Made a believer out of some of the guys at the club.

Colonel
Thanks - i just shot some 20 gauge ones and agree. Two rounds of 22 and 23... I usually do about that score consistently... so agree looks like 20 is a non issue... And yes, dirty!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a little Teflon plumbers tape at the taper to make them fit snug. Not perfect, but it helps with the blow back.
Thats a great idea! Tried electric tape, but that was not good... when you say tapper end, assuming the forcing cone area? or at the end of the tube where it meets the barrel? Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At skeet distances, 20ga and 28ga are fine. In .410, the pattern is probably less even, but I think it still works for practice/messing around. I'm not sure how much it helps, but I use tighter 12ga chokes for each gauge, so for 20ga, I'll use IC, for 28ga, Modified, and for .410, I'll use Full. If you're shooting Registered and/or someone who shoots 98-100 all the time, you'll definitely want full length tubes in .410.
Yeah, there's some blowback with the Sidekick 2.0s that'll make your barrel dirty, especially in .410, but just get a Tico Tool and swab it out at the end of the day and you'll be fine...no big deal.

Since sporting usually involves some shots at longer distances, the 20ga *might* work, but you would definitely want full length tubes in 28ga and .410.

Pro tip: ALWAYS remove your tubes at the end of the day; do NOT just leave them in your barrels! The tubes and barrel cool at different rates, which can lead to condensation forming between the barrel and the subgauge tube...which can lead to rusting/pitting in a surprisingly short amount of time. I now take them out (full length and Sidekicks) and give it a couple passes with a Tico Tool before putting it in the safe. Learn from my mistake.
Just learned what a TICO tool is - thanks! Do you just run it dry? or do you use chemicals with it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
when you say tapper end, assuming the forcing cone area
Yes, exactly.

Over the course of 50 shots or so, the Teflon tape may get a bit tattered. It's not as good as an o-ring (like the old Seminole sub-gauge tubes had), but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
11,110 Posts
Just learned what a TICO tool is - thanks! Do you just run it dry?
Yep, run them down your barrels dry. When they get dirty enough. Go buy a 2 inch dia. PVC pipe with one end cap. Just tap the end cap on, do not glue it. Cut the PVC pipe the length of your tico-tool. Mix up some simple green in a 33% solution with water. and pour down the pipe, leave room for the tool. Insert tool and let sit for a few hours. Scrub it clean a bit and let sit for another few hours. Scrub it down again. Now it should look as good as new. Clean several times with clean water and get all the soap out of the fibers. Let dry outside for a day (there will be a small puddle of water on the floor after a few hours) , then let dry inside for a day. Now you can use as needed. You can still buy these for the 20 ga. and for 12 ga. barrels. break em all jeff

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have 12ga. to 28ga in both Sidekicks and Companions.

Have about 2k down the Sidekicks many many more down the Companions.

I o-ringed both sets to center in bores and contain blowback also did not care for the loose fit in my barrels.
Side kicks mic .718 and bores are .735 if memory serves on barrels, don't remember what the Companions mic at been so long.

Sound report on the SKs not as sharp and crisp, 28ga. rattling down the 12ga. bores does change things.

Playing with the SKs breaks were not near as solid with 12ga. barrels choked sk/sk as the Companions choked sk/sk.
So off to the patterning board to find a huge weak pattern with the SKs.

To get a good quality skeet pattern with my reloads and my 32in barrels with SKs I ended up at choked at LF/F tightest I had.

The SKs like a GOOD wad seal, HS28ga. wads seal the stubby little bore nice the old AA28ga wads not so much.

My case SKs are usable on skeet distance type targets choked up in the 12, I would pass on much farther targets.

Balance and handling speed in a long heavy gun SKs much better than FL tubes.

I have 410 Companions and would not even consider 12 to 410 in a SKs, hits would be too weak not enough positive feedback for my brain, weak hits make me want to change things that were right in the first place.
12 to 20 should be much better as some have reported. Might try some one of these days.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’ve used the sidekick 2.0 in all three smaller gauges. I cannot tell any difference for the 20 & 28. When I patterned the 410 - it was real scattered. Therefore - don’t bother using for 410.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I’ve been down the Sidekick (2.o) vs Companion path a couple times both in 20 ga & most recently in 28 ga 2.0 Sidekicks. My breaks & averages appear about the same at the close distances for skeet. Sidekicks aren’t a big investment and don’t change the swing dynamic as much which I find favorable.
I unfortunately made the mistake Mpolans details in storing the Sidekicks in the barrel too long which ultimately created pitting - an expensive lesson learned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve used the sidekick 2.0 in all three smaller gauges. I cannot tell any difference for the 20 & 28. When I patterned the 410 - it was real scattered. Therefore - don’t bother using for 410.
Thanks - when you patterned, you remember what chokes you used on the barrel? Looks like you have to use full chokes for it to be decent...
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, run them down your barrels dry. When they get dirty enough. Go buy a 2 inch dia. PVC pipe with one end cap. Just tap the end cap on, do not glue it. Cut the PVC pipe the length of your tico-tool. Mix up some simple green in a 33% solution with water. and pour down the pipe, leave room for the tool. Insert tool and let sit for a few hours. Scrub it clean a bit and let sit for another few hours. Scrub it down again. Now it should look as good as new. Clean several times with clean water and get all the soap out of the fibers. Let dry outside for a day (there will be a small puddle of water on the floor after a few hours) , then let dry inside for a day. Now you can use as needed. You can still buy these for the 20 ga. and for 12 ga. barrels. break em all jeff
Thanks - is there a significant difference with bore snakes? Thanks

·
Registered
11,110 Posts
IMO, the Tico-Tool cleans a bit better & is much easier to keep clean. It is also easier on your hands to use!!! It is however a tad harder to carry around. I just leave mine at home and run it down the barrel before I put it away. So there really is no need to carry the tool around. Some shooters like to run them down the barrel as soon as they are finished shooting for the day though. While the barrel is still warm. I don't see the need to do this, but do as you like. break em all jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, even with Full chokes on the 410, it seemed too scattered.
Thanks. I got a good deal on a 410 ($150) and couldn't pass up... oh well... will be fun just to fiddle around with it... wonder if Briley can make a full length version from the side kick 2.0... if anyone knows, let me know what they charge... will be calling later this week as well.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yes they can make a full length set using the sidekicks. They remove the short tube and put the companions tubes on your base. I have a friend had that done on his 28 gauge sidekicks changed to companions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts