Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We also feel fortunate to have the assistance of Barry Roach as our new Field Promotions Coordinator. Barry’s been an active ATA member since 1974, amassing over 300,000 registered targets. Using his sales, promotion and marketing experience, Barry will be developing a plan for promotion of the ATA and our sport through our member clubs. The goal will be to benefit the Association, the gun clubs and our members. If you run into Barry, give him your thoughts. You never know you may see your ideas go nationwide!

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Well that answers all my questions. I need to move over there for some great shooting.

I'm thinking in Montana Tim.

Brady

·
Registered
992 Posts
Barry is at Ben Avery for this weeks shooting I talked with him today. He is dealing with his Dads health plus Barry has been down with the flu himself. You will not find a more positive person. He will be great to light a fire under the ass of some of the people that are riding the fence on shooting ATA targets. We will move forward or the sport will die. Trevor Dawe.

·
Banned
308 Posts
"He will be great to light a fire under the ass of some of the people that are riding the fence on shooting ATA targets."

and what does that mean?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Awwww gee, Barry, I didn't even know the job was looking for a person to fill it, or maybe I would have applied! Oh well....congrats!!!!!!!!!!! If I can be of any help, just ask.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Barry will do a great job as Field Promotions Coordinator. I have know Barry a long time and he is the best person to promote trapshooting, as he is very passionate about this sport..

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Thank you. It's my honor to become part of the ATA's new promotional program. It's a credit to the current Executive Committee of our association which has changed, in my opinion, for the better. We are at a point in competitive trapshooting where it will die if folks, with a passion for this great sport, don't band together and bring in new blood. This EC gets that. They are aligned with this promotional effort and have given me the authority to make it happen.

We are also very fortunate to have the likes of Lynn Gipson at the day-to-day helm of the Amateur Trapshooting Association. For those who don't know his background, you need to know that Lynn is a natural born leader that knows the sport of trapshooting from setting targets, to information technology, to computer services, to managing people to the peek of their potential. More than anything, he cares about the shooters. His enthusiasm is contagious. We're pulling in the correct direction, better now than at any time in my trapshooting career.

To answer Tim's question, in the winter months, one would find me at some trap club in Arizona. I live in Scottsdale from October through May. During the summer months I live in Southwestern Illinois (where I grew up), not far from St. Louis or the WSRC and the ATA headquarters in Sparta, Illinois. Beside my love of sales and my customers, is my passion for competitive trapshooting. My life has been enriched by both.

My assignment is to develop a comprehensive program to partner the ATA with any and all gun clubs who are interested in increasing their member roles leading to registered competition. In the past we have been able to GET the new shooters but we've been weak on KEEPING them. That's my job in a nutshell. We have to use the time tested technique of comprehensive follow-up to keep as many shooters as we are able. Next, once we have convinced you that this approach works, it has to be taught to others, in all other regions. Eventually, promotion and follow-up will become the ATA's most important function and they will use some of our resources to actively introduce new people to the sport of trapshooting.

At first we will begin two pilot programs. One in the greater Phoenix, Arizona region and one in the greater St. Louis, Missouri region.

As the program moves forward, I will share our progress with you all ... after all, our greatest assets are our active registered shooters. I ask you all to join with the ATA to help make this happen. The old, "bring a friend or relative to the gun club" is still one of the most powerful tools to add members to our roles. Getting "word of mouth" going is very powerful.

After you do that, make sure you share the new shooters contact information with me, so I can follow-up with them. I will be glad to do the follow-up regardless of what part of world the lead comes from. At first this can be accomplished by using the Private Messaging feature here on TS.com. Better communication methods will be developed but that'll be a good start. Later, I will share my presentation made at last December's EC meeting. It will answer a lot of your questions and, hopefully, stir your enthusiasm for our project.

Best regards,
Bear

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Congratulations Barry!! I wish you nothing but the best and hope everyone gets on board in helping you grow our sport!! We'll talk soon!

HAP

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Bring a friend to a gun club is great! Also add; helping that friend all along and for a good while needs to be mentioned. --- thats how I got hooked. I just sell guns to support my habit. Lol.....merlyn

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think the ATA'S decision to give more All American points at state shoots is proof that they are headed in a new and more positive direction. Most of us can't afford to do all the traveling it takes to acquire said points and you sure can't win enough money anymore to help offset the expense. Maybe now it won't be just for the wealthiest shooters or those that make a living off of trapshooting by giving clinic's. Good luck, Barry the passion you share for our sport I'm sure will be a definite aid. Hugo

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Here is a copy of the proposal I presented to the ATA ... as promised. I am terribly sorry that it didn't transfer well from my original printing. The content or intent is not lost, however. Bear.

Promotions and Membership Recruitment and Retention Presentation for the Amateur Trapshooting Association Executive Committee and Executive Director Lynn Gipson.

PROPOSAL PURPOSE & MISSION

This is a request for funding to implement a program designed to achieve two things. To bring new shooters to the gun clubs most interested in working with the ATA membership promotion and to bring non- registering recreational shooters and new shooters into the ATA fold. Additionally, we will be soliciting the former members on which we still have contact information.

This initial effort will be directed by Executive Director Gipson and myself with the enthusiastic support of the Amateur Trapshooting Association and its Board of Delegates. It will, initially, be locally initiated in two pilot regional target regions ... Most of the state of Illinois but with emphasis on the St. Louis, Missouri metropolitan area which includes Sparta/WSRC and the Greater Phoenix metropolitan area.

It is my great honor to be considered to help the organization that I have great affection. I have already been assured that we have the support and enthusiasm of both region's delegates inclusive to all three pilot program states.

The Goals Are Simple

1. Introducing more people to the local gun clubs who may be interested in shooting trap

2. Aid gun club management in teaching the game of trap and all it's components to new shooters

3. Build the ATA Big 50 program through direct aid for each gun club we feel has the best potential to convert shooters to ATA registered shooting

4. Develop a plan, basic of all sales efforts, to systematically "follow-up" with all interested shooters

5. Reintroduce ourselves to any and all of those who tried registered shooting in the past and didn't stick with it

6. "Mine" for shooters from the other clay target sports

7. Develop a relationship with both national and local media and outdoor writers in each state. This should include each states' DNR or Conservation Dept.
publications

8. Become partners with the most suitable non registering but willing gun clubs that are interested in increasing their membership and holding ATA shoots.
After all, the gun club is as much our customer as the shooters

9. Apply the same methods (as in item # 8) with those gun clubs already throwing registered targets and want to grow their membership and throw more targets

10. Identify possible groups of future ATA Big 50 shooters from local industry and other businesses that are looking for good activities for their employees. Employee Human Resource depts. are keen to have industrial teams in as many activities as possible. It makes for a core of pride for their employees and lends to a "family" atmosphere for the company

11. Identifying and soliciting local retail sporting goods, gun stores, gunsmiths and any other business that would benefit from new shooters in their neighborhood

12. Identifying and soliciting national retailers like Walmart, Cabella's, Bass Pro, Dicks, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mountain, etc., at both the local store and corporate level and use them as points of promotion. An "On Site Promotional Kit" for a table top display should be provided and manned by our local ATA/club representative or the national sales/promotional director, at each business location at optimum times of the year for the greatest traffic

13. Develop a "Promotions Kit" geared for the gun clubs to carry on the business of promotion for new shooters with a pathway to the Big 50 and ATA registered competition

14. Develop an "introduction to the ATA" DVD for each club and representative to present to prospective shooters at all points of customer contact

15. Repackage the ATA's public image as more of a concrete "product" that more "customers" will see it's worth. As an organization we are going to examine our "product" and realize that we have an old "tradition" that is possibly holding us back in it's current form and distribution. I believe we need to reexamine our association with the Trap & Field magazine and bring it on as a premium for membership. We need more control of our image through a better partnership with the publisher of "The Official Publication of the Amateur Trapshooting Association". After all, we are their only customer beside ads

MY NEEDS

1000 Official ATA Business Cards
6 ATA logo casual shirts
2 ATA logo caps
Expenses for official ATA travel and phone
Expenses for official home office supplies
Your enthusiasm and good graces

PERSONAL INTRODUCTION

I was born into a family of sellers and sportsmen. My ATA Life membership number is 17 50780. I became a member of the ATA in 1974. I am 65 years old. My mother's father opened a Western Auto Associate Store at Litchfield, Illinois in 1941. Those that remember those stores know that they sold just about everything. They were the small town "family store" that may have sold your parents your first bicycle or mower or shotgun. My dad took the store over from grandpa in 1958. I was already a veteran as I started working there at age 8 in 1956. My dad is the best and most honest and effective salesman I ever knew and I patterned my sales career after his example. My interest in firearms came early on and we stocked, sold and traded all sorts of firearms until the store's close in 1995.

After leaving my family's business I became the sales manager of Brubaker Motor Company in Litchfield, Illinois. Later a truck fleet customer of ours, Zimmerman Equipment Company, asked me to travel a 5 state territory selling their corn, milo and rice dryers. When Zimmerman moved I became employed with Bratney Equipment Company, Des Moines, Iowa. I served them as a sales/engineer in Illinois, Missouri and Arkansas, both selling over 200 lines of grain, feed and seed processing and conveying products and complete "turn key" processing facilities. I ended my "commercial" career as the Vice President of sales and marketing for Production Automation Systems Company in St. Louis, Missouri, a manufacturer of custom automated product handling machines. I served on the board of the Grain Elevator and Processors Society an an associate member at large, as well.

Trapshooting came into my life when I was eleven. It came in the form of working at the Litchfield Sportsmans Club in Litchfield for my uncle Frank Roach (dad had 8 brothers and two sisters). I used to set targets for 35 cents a case there in the beginning and, eventually, served on the board of directors as the secretary/ treasurer and later vice president, in my late twenties. I loved trapshooting from the beginning. I also served on the Edwardsville (IL) Gun Club board and helped guide their clay target shoot program. I am a better target setter than a target shooter.

I loved trapshooting so much that it became my incentive to become a better shooter, a better worker and, hopefully, a better man. It pushed me into better paying jobs or greater excellence throughout my sales career with the idea to make more money to shoot more targets and still live a nice comfortable life. At this point my target count is well past a quarter million ATA registered targets.

Now, as I enter the rank of the ATA veterans, I want to help the ATA strengthen its position as a great American recreation. I think my life experience as a salesperson and marketeer and one who has trained many in the art of sales prepared me to assist the ATA in a program specifically designed to increase our long term membership. I believe that we can double our member roles in about 5 years.

ATA BIG 50

The ATA BIG 50 is a brilliant idea ... It lacks "hands on" promotion and execution ... but brilliant, all the same. The promotion of this "ATA/Gun Club Interface" and an introduction to registered shooting was and still is an excellent tool. The BIG 50 has the potential to transition club shooters to ATA membership and registered trapshooting.

We have to enhance our commitment and work harder to partner with each and every interested gun club. Implementation will take a renewed commitment by the ATA and we are going to have to spend much time and some funds to get it done. Since there are few trapshooting clubs actively seeking our help, we're going to have to make the effort. This job will have to be funded and manned by the ATA. Our plan must show the gun clubs that being associated with the ATA is valuable and should be integral to their operations. As it relates to the average club shooter ... we have to make it easy to become familiar and eventually a member, at some level, to the ATA. There needs to be a partnership between the interested clubs and the ATA. The gun clubs are our customers, just as much as the shooters.

FOLLOW-UP, FOLLOW-UP, FOLLOW-UP

After "first contact" has been established, the most important part of any sales/marketing is a comprehensive program of "FOLLOW-UP". In the past we have relied on the old "if you build it ... they will come" and "after they come ... they will be in love with us" technique. Unfortunately, that doesn't work anymore ... especially if your trying to KEEP the shooters you nurtured in the beginning. The ATA needs to present it to it's members as more than a "keeper of the records" ... it needs to be seen as the competitive shooters' fraternity (sorority) ... the OFFICIAL part their trapshooting experience. To do this we need to further the work of the current ATA office and it's efforts to improve the website and to develop a consistent mailing presence to both our best/most active members and to continue to "ask for the business" of all shooters, regardless of their level of participation. This may be the most expensive part of our plan ... initially. If it's done in a targeted and concentrated way, however, it will be inexpensive compared to the results. There is nothing exotic or magic about a comprehensive sales campaign ... but done properly, all sales folks know it works.

PRESSING THE FLESH

Any good sales campaign needs human contact. Almost everyone is complimented when asked to participate. This plan will develop a primer for the gun clubs and their needs to be local and state representatives of the ATA to bring the plan to the shooters, personally. It cannot be emphasized enough that our ATA state delegate system needs to be included in making this promotional program work.

I am aware of the disjoint between the ATA helm and their delegates, but that must change. The Executive Committee and the Executive Director needs to "reach out" to all of the state and provincial delegates and their alternates with the goal to bring them to into the fold of this promotion. We have to assume that this is part of what each and every one of them want as much as the helm of the organization does. We all know that this will be a daunting job. All boards of directors have their "do nothings", mavericks and detractors ... but that doesn't mean that the helm can't lead by example. Hopefully, with communications to shooters, state boards of directors, ATA delegates and gun club administrators, the current disjoint communications will improve. Letting them know that the ATA is doing something to bring and keep more shooters will unify most of the delegates. How can they object to the promotion of the sport, that I assume, they love ? We have to convince the delegates that this will make them heros amongst their charge.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You have to start somewhere and I think Barry is a great choice! He loves the game, trust me he doesn't need the money. He really wants to try and help I am all for giving him a chance.

Terry.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts