Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bare with me here in this question as I might not be able to word my own question so it’s understandable.
This is a case of the more I know, the less I know.
I’m looking at a couple of guns. $1900-2800 price Range. Nothing has everything I want. The Citori 725 Trap is on my scope. But even with this gun, I’m being told I should probably get an adjustable comb installed. Butt plate recoil system. And as far as I know the rib isn’t adjustable. So it seems extra money would need to be spent.
My question is, would a person be wise to buy something cheaper and then use aftermarket items like AddaRib and Sps products? Hope my question is understandable.
For example I can get my hands on a Citori CXS for less money. Would it be unwise to do this with the thought of replacing the stock and AddaRib. This gun would be almost exclusively used for Trap.
Believe me, I want a much more expensive gun but that’s not in the cards today.
Thanks for putting up with the noob question.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The stock of the gun is worth more than the actual gun as long as you are buying a quality manufactured action and barrel.

Find the out the characteristics of the gun you want and build around that. Barrel length, weight, rib height, etc. Then get the stock to fit you. Its better if you can have one piece of wood but slight modifications are fine too. Once you start adding on a bunch of stuff the balance may need to be fiddled with.

Your budget for a quality OU is kind of low. You can find a nice gun, don't get me wrong. But you won't have everything - but the variance in how close the gun will fit you will depend on how close your build is to the average person.

Some people won't agree but I believe it.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
OK, so your a new shooter right! IMO you do not need a adjustable rib at all. So now we have to narrow down your search to a high rib? Or a standard rib? Only you can decide which is better suited for your needs. There are lots more standard ribs out there than high ribs. But since you plan to shoot mostly Trap. It would be hard to go against the high rib shotgun? But you still may not like one. I suggest you borrow one of each and see which one you like best. I would then tell you to look at a Browning shotgun with that type of rib.

Mount any shotgun in the mirror. Align your eye so you see the two beads stacked up like a figure 8. Or a snowman if you prefer. Then look at your eye's and shoulders in the mirror. You need to see your eye's level and your shoulders level to the ground. If your nose touches your thumb that means your stock is too short. Your eye must line up on the two beads. If your eye needs to move to the left, right or move upward? You need a adj. comb. If you have to lower your head to the stock so that your eye's are no longer level to the ground. You need a adj. butt plate. This way you can lower the recoil pad to bring your stock back upward to level your eye's again. The gun should mount up to your face. You never want to lower your head to the gun.

Lastly the Browing CX (all around model) model, or the CXT (trap) model would suit your needs much better than the flat shooting CXS model shotgun. I Hope this helps you out. If you have any other questions just shoot!!! We'll try to help Ya. Don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Oh Yeh, the CX and the CXT are mostly a standard rib shotgun. If you prefer the higher rib shotgun you have to move up to the 725 line of shotguns. Once again your choices are the High Rib Sporting Clay model. Or the 725 Trap model. The only real difference between all 4 shotguns is the type of forend they have. The Sporting model has the Schnabel type forend while the Trap model has a semi-beavertail type forend wood. Just pick the one you want. The shotgun is about the same. The stock may be slightly differnet between them. But you would have to shoulder each one to see if there is any difference for you. This is likely hard to impossible with most shooters. Since everyone orders shotguns on-line now. But if you look around at all your clubs and put in the time and effort. You may very well be able to find both shotguns and try them. Most shooters will let you try there shotgun for a round if you like. Just ask them nicely and explain your new and looking for a new shotgun. Do try to pay them back with a hot dog/cold drink/or a cold draft after shooting is over. Just take your time and try as many different guns as you can. Ask the shooters what they like about there shotgun if you like. If you plan on being there for a while. Some shooters will tell you a story. LOL. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I’m almost certain to get Browning. The local gun club has all the models we are talking about available to rent. I rented 2 yesterday to try.

In the short time since I posted this question, I spoke to and hired a coach. I won’t say his name now, but his credentials look amazing to me. I asked him the basic question on the phone that I asked here. I was hoping to purchase one today. His answer was, “Don’t buy any of them until we meet and I see you holding them”. So I’m going to go with that for now. I’ll let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks, you are all wonderfully amazing with your help.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Find a good used Browning from a reputable dealer that already has an adjustable comb. And definitely, bring your coach with when you do.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
I was hoping to purchase one today. His answer was, “Don’t buy any of them until we meet and I see you holding them”.
Your in too much of a "Hurry to Buy a Shotgun"!!!!

Hold up on buying, and shoot the standard rib shotgun at least 3 times. Then shoot the high rib shotgun at least 3 times. Average out your scores and take a few days to think about the pro's and con's of each gun. When you are absolutely sure which shotgun you shoot and like the best. Then go out and buy that shotgun. You might "Think"? you know which shotgun you like the best sooner, but give it some time. The cheapest shotgun is the one you only have to buy "ONCE"!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll lose 25 to 30 percent of your shotguns cost if you end up selling your shotgun within the first 6 months for any reason. So take your time. Rental guns are not that costly. Maybe the shooting club will cut you a deal on 6 rentals if you pay up front? break em all jeff

·
Registered
751 Posts
Only thing I can add to this thread is weight is your friend, I have two guns one is 7 lbs and change and the other is 8 lbs and change. The 8 lb gun has half the recoil as the 7 lb gun.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Take a look at the Browning Citori Universal High Post from Guns Unlimited 2300 bucks. Have GU put on a Adjustable Comb for 199 . You will be out the door for 2500 . Best value out there with all the adjustments you need . Gun has good weight , swings smoothly, little recoil, aside from LOP adjustment. And that can be taken care of easily with a spacer or if you want to go a little extra have them put on an adjustable LOP Gracoil unit for another 350 . Still in your high end ballpark of 2800. bucks

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
My preference, since you don't really know what you want yet, is to buy a flat rib or mid rib gun and try different rib heights with cheap delrin or balsa wood.

You can build up a comb cheaply with moleskin, foam etc. Talk with Rollins Oswald, Trapshooter Jeff, and other fitters on here. They know their stuff! Also, make friends with WadHopper. He's bought and traded about everything out there.

You can do this on a temporary scale cheaply and then you can either make them (more) permanent by using add-a-rib, getting an adjustable comb cut.

Or since you now know what you want, you can sell the gun and buy what you really want.

If you are like me, you will go through several style changes as you progress. Stay flexible early and it may save you some $$$ down the road.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
What Tron said. I bought a CX last fall. I LOVE the gun but after shooting it all this year I KNOW what I want done to it! If your main game is trap don't even bother with the cxs!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought the CX and it shoots (60.40). Mine came with an adjustable comb. The CXS (skeet) shoots 50/50. The CXT (Trap) shoots 70/30. I am new at all of this. I have used the CX without any adjustment of the comb for Trap for about 5 rounds. Hit 22/25 today for my best so far. Love the gun. Have fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
All that you really need is an adjustable comb. A lot of the guns come with those, or there are gunsmiths that can do them. That said, I bought a BT-99 with an adjustable stock, but right out of the box without raising the comb at all I shot a class higher than usual at the match yesterday, and came in 2nd place for handicap, so if the gun fits and is already a high shooting trap gun, you might not need the adjustable comb. But like most things, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Just go with the CX and have an adjustable comb and butt plate installed with a good pad. No need to spend any more. Great gun, they shoot straight and it will last you a lifetime.
This is the answer right here. Probably not going to get anywhere near what you want cheaper. Tron does good work if you are looking to get some adjustable stock work done.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just go with the CX and have an adjustable comb and butt plate installed with a good pad. No need to spend any more. Great gun, they shoot straight and it will last you a lifetime.
That is what I was thinking when I started this thread. I don’t know enough to know anything.
I have several hobbies that I still do. Each of those hobbies have a bunch of junk I bought in the beginning that I never use. Can’t count the amount of pistol holsters I’ve bought.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What Tron said. I bought a CX last fall. I LOVE the gun but after shooting it all this year I KNOW what I want done to it! If your main game is trap don't even bother with the cxs!
What about the CXT? Don’t bother? If memory serves me right, the CX only comes in 30”. Was wanting 32”.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts