Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not much of a pistol guy but now that we can carry in Illinois I'm looking at what to get. Considering Glock 29 9mm, Ruger 390 acp, M&P compact 9mm. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
STI 1911 Ranger 9mm, Glock 19 or Glock 26. Check your state max bullet capacity this may limit legality of handgun.

·
Registered
874 Posts
A person that's not much of a pistol guy might prefer J frame Smith or Ruger LCR type gun. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
Sig 938 9mm. Not as wide a Glock, single action trigger, a mini 1911.

It's fun to practice with too, and very accurate.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I used to carry A S&W J frame 38 sol, I now carry a Springfield Arms XDS in 45 acp--much more controllable & way more accurate.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I agree with Robb, if you're "not much of a pistol guy" get a double action revolver. KISS, if it's got bullets in it you're ready to shoot, just point it where you want the bullet to go and pull the trigger. If you want to unload it just swing out the cylinder and dump the bullets back out. Most semi-auto's require a little more familiariy to operate safely.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I carry a Colt Detective Special, but these days my choice would be a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace laser. It is small and concealable. Most gun fights take place at 21 feet or less.
JEB

·
Registered
272 Posts
I carry an LC9 with Crimson Trace and a trigger job. One thousand rounds through the pistol with nary a hiccup.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My husband uses a 500 Wyoming Express. Especially for Illinois!!

Seriously, glad that was cleared up for Illinois. About time you guys got CCW

Deb

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
A lot of variables not discussed:

On your body, or just "in your truck?"

Concealed, or not concealed? (I don't know what the law allows you to do in Illinois).

If you're going to carry on your body, concealed, I recommend you investigate by taking guns of various sizes and shapes that you may already own (if any), and practice placing that unloaded gun under your clothing in different locations, in summer clothing, and SIT DOWN IN A CHAIR WITH IT while watching TV for 15 minutes (simulating eating in a restaurant, etc.).

You will quickly see that a lot of the recommendations given above, are being given by "truck gun guys" who do not carry concealed on their body, in summer clothing, anyplace where they have to sit down with the gun on them.

Try before you buy! You would not believe the number of used "carry guns" for sale out there, by people who bought them without thinking this through, and their choice turned out not to "work" for them.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts