Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Responded to a ad this morning on Armslist.com for a Browning Citori Grade V Trap Gun. Was a very skeptical of the price of $1200 but I played it out with him.

Now he said he was 35 miles south of me in Seattle. I told him I would meet with him and make a Face to face deal. He couldn't do that so here is a copy of his last email.

A certified check will be preferable which will be payable to the name and address below.

NAME:KENNETH WOODCOCK

ADDRESS:13834 OSAGE ROAD

CITY:APPLE VALLEY

ZIP:92307

STATE:CA

Note:I will not do anything that is not legit once the check is confirmed and cleared you gun will be in transit to your FFL dealer location.After sending the package get back to me ASAP with the tracking number so that i can keep track of the package online.Am looking forward to us completing this transaction before the end of this week.

Thanks

I went on gunbroker.com and found out where he got his photos.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=376152445

Watch out for this guy.

Jim R

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
Yep, happens all the time. Pretty easy to pick up on on real high end guns (kolars, krieghoffs, perazzis) when they try to sell them for 1/4 market value.

My trick is that I copy a sentence or two out of their description, and google it. This will usually yield the original ad the lifted the description and pics out of, and will confirm unequivocally that its a scam (scammers are lazy, and simply copy/paste descriptions). Doing this will only prove that an ad is a scam, it can't prove that one isn't.

Another trick is to ask for more pics of specific areas of the gun (close up of monoblock, closeup of breech face, ect). If they can't provide them, huge red flag.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some clues to arms list scams for me are items listed with no town. Like Alabama, Alabama. This combined with a item listed at below market prices. When these two are combined the scam rate is 100 percent. All you have to do is try to arrange a meeting. It will not happen. Be careful. david

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a link to the armslist.com ad

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2325260/washington-shotguns-for-sale--browning-citori-grade-v-trap-gun-12-ga-32-?preview=635198446400000000

And here is a link to the gunbroker.com ad

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=37615244

·
Vendor
19,412 Posts
You can foil the crook/seller by insisting that he have a picture taken with the gun in hand to incl his face. They will nto do it.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Jim Simms, you don't think the name and address are legitimate, do you. The person at that address has probably lost his wallet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Don't recall the scammers name but I was selling a Kolar and the photo's were lifted on either ts.com or gunbroker and was used to scam unsuspecting shooters on Armslist, was using my selling price as well...I notified Armslist and they shut him down....Seems like the scammers just stay at it, change names, etc...Ron

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Same problem for Armslist New York under "Shotguns". All high end guns at bargain prices. His English varies from correct to terrible depending on the ad posting. Background in the photos also is never the same for any of the guns.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Can you report it to the listing website? That might save more people.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has been reported to the Armslist web master and he is now blocked, but he can gain access with a new email address. The ATF has all the information on this guy and I guess he is pretty good at what he does. With a little luck they will catch him.

Jim R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts