Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are interested in avoiding computer viruses, are perturbed by the time and expense spent getting rid of computer viruses, and/or want to surf the internet with impunity, please take the survey above. It is theoretical, so far.

Danny

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Where's the Linux option?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are a Linux user, you don't need these options. Linux makes up about 1-2% of all computer operating systems.

Danny

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the survey. If you don't want to click on the link, or are afraid of SurveyMonkey, you can read the question below and PM your answer to me. You can PM me $19.95, $9.95, No, or What?

This is a serious survey. We are working on a way to make it impossible for a virus to attack your computer.

If you have virus protection, like Norton or McAfee, you notice that you have to continually update the program. The updates are caused by viruses that those programs didn't recognize, or couldn't stop.

If you don't think viruses are a computer issue, consider that the computer security industry is a $67 billion per year income generator.

I know this is a small sample to survey, but I don't want the opinions of power computer users, just everyday folks like many of you.

Danny

PS - PM me for email, if you need it and would rather email me.

SURVEY

1. If a software package were to be offered that would guarantee you could surf the internet, check email, and download attachments without ever getting a computer virus, would you:

Pay $19.95 per year for a complete self-installing package, including support?

Pay $9.95 one-time fee for instructions on how to set up your computer to avoid all viruses, with no support?

Not be interested, because my virus protection software protects me?

What's the problem with a few viruses a year?

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Just got mine back after a virus attack from a "Costco" email!!

Tech had to completely un-install all my programs and re-install to get rid of the pests!!

All the "cleaners" couldn't do it.

Have a new program now that if my computer doesn't recognize sender, right to a "junk" folder and destroyed!!

All chain stores emails are now on the fast track to "junk"

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SilverShooter,

Not selling anything yet. But I'm trying to decide whether to attempt to develop such a product.

The attitude seems to be that if you keep good backups, and update your virus software, then everything will be ok. I would like to stop these attacks before they start.

There was an article today in our local paper about the Cryptolocker. It takes control of your computer and will encrypt your data if you don't pay the Moneypak ransom in a period of time. Moneypak is an untraceable virtual currency, so the perps are running free. They have been identified so far as a criminal ring in the Ukraine.

Victims of Cryptolocker are paying the $300 Moneypak ransom, because it might be cheaper than having their computers cleaned and reloaded.

So, look at the survey and let me know your opinion, please.

Danny

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I have a 300 dollar computer that is 5 years old. It will not hurt me to unplug it and take it to the landfill.

Then I will have another 300 dollar computer that is brand new.

HM

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HM,

Then you wouldn't give a damn. I have at least ten years' worth of client records on mine (backed up, of course). Can you imagine what would happen to a CPA during the middle of busy season when it takes the Geek Squad 7-10 days to wipe clean and restore? Or, the expense of a new computer restored to match the old system? My computers can't be replaced for $300.

Also, I have very strong issues with allowing thugs to control my destiny.

Danny

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
What does the guarantee stand for?

If I use your service, and get a virus, you will completely replace my system with one of equal or greater specs with no out of pocket expense to me? Up to what $ value?

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I had a virus nail mine a few weeks ago, it is nice to have friends that work on 'puters for a living my buddy came out and fixed it in a couple hours, but I did lose all the info I had stored on it but 90% of was stuff I would never use again anyway

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I have 10 years of research for my education on my machine. Of course that data is backed up. I have been able to transfer it from 3 other laptops that died. My new (last year left over) windows7 HP did not come with a permanent Windows office software. (word, excel, power point) I bought and installed a legit copy and all was well. In December, windows sent me a "critical security update". As soon as the update was done, a lot of stuff on my computer (all legit) would not function right, including the newly installed Microsoft office. I restored the machine to an earlier date, and everything works fine EXCEPT Office. The tech line really have not been any help. They cannot believe THEIR upgrade caused it. It had to be the cause, That was the only time I had the computer in my office on that whole week, and it was hurt as soon as the "critical security update" was finished.

I use AVG security and have not had any problems from cyber attacks. I am very careful out emails, If I don't know the sender or the title line does not make sense, it gets trashed. I do not web surf much with my office laptop. It is really bad when Windows is the villain destroying the functionality of a legit computer running legit software. I now have them on BLOCKED status. As far as I am concerned, nothing has actually improved since XP, maybe as far back as Windows98. I am tired of having to spend money every time they decide they want more of my bank account. I am tired of technology that does not serve the customer, but only serves technology.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts