Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes, yesterday Microsoft popped up a full screen notice I needed to update from windows 8 to 8.1 Didn't have a choice could not exit this page.(I tried ) The message stated if I didn't want it after update they would restore to old version. Well after update I lost my printer program, antivirus program, and use of my physical keyboard. ( I have touch screen computer ) Was able to reload printer program I had a disc for that. Called Avast antivirus yesterday and got a person who was in the end was no help at all. Last night I finally found the restore page, tried to use the version which would not mess with my files and so forth. Well, when I got to the box to execute restore would not let me. Had a box within the box showing update and stated it was critical. Best I can tell this morning my keyboard, and antivirus is not recognize in this 8.1 version. I'm going to contact HP to see if they can restore my keyboard ( wireless by the way ) Now the Avast antivirus is another story. After my experience yesterday no longer want there product. I'm looking for suggestions for new antivirus program that has good customer service if there is such a thing. Norton is not an option, had them once and never again. There support was worse then the guy I dealt with yesterday. Hopefully this is a heads up for any of you guys & gals that has windows 8. Microsoft's way of trying to reinvent the wheel. FYI Avast has no online live help phone only and it's pretty bad. Thanks, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help with your problem, but TS.com readers should not fear accepting the download. I found it on my computer first thing this morning. While it did take quite a while to complete download and all of the subsequent set-up routine (all automated), my computer did restart and operates just as before. Naturally, they tried to change my home screen to MSN (bleachhhh!) but I quickly restored my choice, Happy Thanksgiving, Ed

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
RE: Avast

You may need to download Avast 2014. Had the same problem and that was my solution. Downloaded the free version and then made sure it was linked to my (paid) account and no extra charge to activate. If your just using the free version, update that.

As for the wireless keyboard, try going to the Control Window, open Device Manager and look under Keyboard. Have it check up an updated driver. Just click on it and you will see a box open. Even if it says your driver is up to date, check anyway. You can always roll back the driver if a problem.

OR

Latest HP Driver Updates

http://www.official-drivers.com/installer/?seed=HP&act=update&desc=Latest&gclid=CNymnpHXh7sCFcVQ7AodwDkAAA

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same thing happen this morning--just do as the other poster said and do a system restore--I did all by myself without asking Davi (my son) for help--he won't believe it!!!
David's mom

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Good luck finding an anti-virus company with good customer service. In fact, good luck finding that from ANY company these days! AVG isn't your answer either; they are as bad as Norton in that department. I use Avast - I had the free version for several years on all three PCS and recently upgraded the one I use most to their paid version. I haven't had to call them for anything, so the stuff must work well.

One feature I like is their boot scan - you tell Avast to run a boot scan and then restart your computer. It scans everything before Windows opens, thus finding bugs that hide in the Windows software and survive normal scans.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts