Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife was trying to translate a recipe that was written in Croatian Cyrillic and now the background language is exactly that. If I click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the desktop it all comes up in Cyrillic. Can't seem to find my way back as all the prompts are unreadable to me. She can't remember what she clicked on so I'm screwed. Any ideas short of shooting this laptop and buying a new one...which I can't afford. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
It might help to know what type of computer, what operating system, and what browser you are using. Did you change the default language in the operating system, or in the browser? There should be a site that will convert languages, without changing your computer settings, just for next time.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Did you try a "right click" on your mouse. Sometimes this will bring up a menu that most don't know about.

And one of those could be "do you want us to translate for you". If so, click on it and you should be back to English.

Or try this. Go to tools, internet options and then to Languages.

There has to be a way without throwing your computer in the trash.

Hauxfan!

·
Molon Labe
11,981 Posts
Restore the computer to a time before she did it

Reactions: buck3200

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
First we need to know your computer's OS - which version of Windows are you using??

To change languages isn't that hard - BUT you will need to search by your OS for the correct path.

You will need to find the pathway using an English based machine and just be certain to parallel the English pathway on the Cyrillic screen

how to change desktop language for windows - Google Search

As an example -

"Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language."

Well, the Start button is pretty obvious and the control panel will be in the same place on both machines. It goes forward from there.

·
Registered
18,660 Posts
Thanks. That may be my first task. When I right click on anything all the menus come up in Cyrillic. Pain in the ass.
Still need to know your operating system. Win10 is pretty straightforward. Win xP is a bit harder.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might help to know what type of computer, what operating system, and what browser you are using. Did you change the default language in the operating system, or in the browser? There should be a site that will convert languages, without changing your computer settings, just for next time.
Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop. Windows 10. I use Google Chrome for a browser most of the time. I went on Windows settings and it's default language is US English. When I try to access the 3 little dots in the upper right corner to access settings it all in Cyrillic. Can't seem to navigate around it to find my way out. I did a system restore. Didn't work. Uninstalled and re-installed Chrome. No change.

·
Registered
18,660 Posts
Google Chrome is an excellent web browser, but you can't enjoy all of its benefits if it's not set in your native language. To change the default language in Google Chrome, click on the three-dot icon in the upper right corner, then navigate to Settings --> Advanced Settings --> Language and input settings... --> Add; select your default language from the menu that pops up, then click "OK," "Display Google Chrome in this language," and "Done" to save your new settings.

I will go open chrome on my other mo-sheen and see if I can given you step by step instructions like 3 down or right click then 2down etc.

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
Did she change the language for the entire machine, or just for Chrome??

·
Registered
18,660 Posts
OK,

Click the three dots go to the third from the bottom item, ( settings ) and click it, go to the very bottom ( show advanced settings ) and click it, 11th topic down is languages and input settings with a tic in the box and a radio button just above it, click the button, a panel opens and on mine the top selection is for english US.

Reactions: joe kuhn

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
For the future, "Google Translate" will translate just about any language known to man. You don't have to change any settings that will get you in this mess you are in now. It's pretty easy to use and self explanatory.

Google Translate

Link to Google Translate above. You can maybe use it to find your way around your messed up computer by plugging in phrases to find the language option.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Flashmax may have it.

So you can type here in English, but your browser menus are translated. Sounds like a Chrome setting.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts