Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a younger shooter and I have saved up enough money for a new shotgun. I am looking at the browning 725 Pro trap, 725 trap Golden Clays, Trap Max, Citori CXT, and the SKB 95ATR. I want something soft shooting for ATA trap shoots. I shoot all 3 diciplines and shoot 300 rounds every time I shoot. I want a High Rib and low recoil. What should I get. I am open to other manufactures also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really like my trap max but i'm not sure how well it would transition to other disciplines. I use a CX for sporting clays, i may try adjusting the max to shoot a little lower and shoot around of sporting with it someday when our clubs open back up.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,193 Posts
I really like my trap max but i'm not sure how well it would transition to other disciplines. I use a CX for sporting clays, i may try adjusting the max to shoot a little lower and shoot around of sporting with it someday when our clubs open back up.
I think he meant all 3 trap disciplines. HDCP, singles and doubles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Browning 725 Pro Trap and it is the softest shooting shotgun I have ever shouldered with all the weights installed. Now that being said she is a heavy gun as I have the 32 inch barrels. The one thing I wish I had is a unsingle barrel for it, but other wise it has every feature you could want in a trap gun at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those choices but would suggest that you try out several different guns if possible to see if will be able to shoot a hi rib gun. Some people don’t get along with them very well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am a younger shooter and I have saved up enough money for a new shotgun. I am looking at the browning 725 Pro trap, 725 trap Golden Clays, Trap Max, Citori CXT, and the SKB 95ATR. I want something soft shooting for ATA trap shoots. I shoot all 3 diciplines and shoot 300 rounds every time I shoot. I want a High Rib and low recoil. What should I get. I am open to other manufactures also.
Check out the 725 combo from GU.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,124 Posts
I agree with these guys. Browning is a fine gun. A friend has a 725 Pro trap and loves it. I don’t know anything about the new SKBs. They are made in Turkey now. I own several Japanese SKB’s and they are outstanding guns. And I shoot them very well. I’ve had a Browning Citori Crossover ( now called a CX) didn’t care for it. I couldn’t shoot it very well. I now own a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III, Joel Etchen Special with the high rib X Trap barrels. Love it. And shoot it very well. Look around. See if you can try a few. See how they mount, fit you. Then decide.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,900 Posts
High rib, low recoil...you want an unsingle combo in my opinion.
Zoli Z Trap, softest gun I’ve owned. Softer shooting than some with recoil reduction. Almost no recoil with 1oz loads.
Higher rib, mild recoil, Cesar Guerini Summit. It’s a pound lighter than my Z but has about 1/2” more rib giving me a fuzzier feeling and I shoot it better.
I’ve not owned a top single that I would compare to any unsingle. For me, most top singles feel like all hell’s breaking loose when I pull the trigger with the exception of my KX6S.
If I were looking for another combo two guns come to mind...
Guns Unlimited 725 adjustable combo. I shot a 725 Trap for doubles for a season and loved it. I wouldn’t get one with all the Gracoil stuff. I don’t like how it looks. I’d get the Monte Carlo and send it to Tronspace and let him do his thing.
Next would be to demo a couple different Cesar Guerini combos.
A couple years back I shouldered one and loved how it felt but passed due to some not so favorable opinions.
After owning several different guns, I went back to the CG due to its measurements, fit and weight combinations all being in line with my preferred shooting style.
I couldn’t be happier with my decision to do so at this point and it’s been a couple years since I’ve been this excited about shooting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those choices but would suggest that you try out several different guns if possible to see if will be able to shoot a hi rib gun. Some people don’t get along with them very well.
I like the high rib and I feel it beneficial to float the bird. Because I dont have a high school season or any high school tournaments this will be my time to adjust to the gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second the suggestions on 725 Trap Combo. Guns Unlimited is great to deal with. They love to help young shooters get started in the sport and they have the patience and knowledge to do it right

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am using Reeds as my vendor for the gun fair deals. I was going to help out at it this weekend but the virus changed that. I will get a heck of a deal.
I got a smoking good deal on a 725 Trap from Reed's with their sale, plus the 8% rebate, plus not having to pay shipping or tax. Hopefully I get to try it out tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts