Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting for a few years now I'm looking to move on and invest in a competition level gun that's got a bit more weight to it. Around 8.5lbs, mid balanced, 30" barrels, adjustable comb and a wide trap rib are my criteria. I've been looking at either a Browning Ultra XT (not the high rib one) or a Beretta 690 Trap. I started out with Winchester 101s and later Browning 525s although I've never tried a Beretta, so I'm open to change if it works. Anyone have some first hand experience of these guns?

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
Stick with your 525!!! The 690 is still pretty light for a target gun. So it'll be lighter than your 525. There is no advantage at all switching to the XT Ultra. I believe this shotgun is even lighter than the 525 as well. That's why there were called Ultra's!!! As in Ultra light maybe? Most Browning target shotguns run about 8 lbs 3 oz.'s. Depending on wood. Some models are lighter, so check out your model at Browning's website. I'll need to go to the new 694 series Beretta if you want to come up to the 8 lb. 3 oz. shotgun. If you want a true 8 lb. 8 oz shotgun (like you want 8 1/2 lbs). You'll need to move up to a 8 grand shotgun. Zoli or Blazer. Of course you can find a slightly used Krieghoff for about 8 grand as well. In like new shape, from a K-gun dealer as well. They run about 8 lbs. 12 oz's, or 8 3/4 lbs!!! Good Luck on your quest for the perfect shotgun. Kolar's tend to run even more. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stick with your 525!!! The 690 is still pretty light for a target gun. So it'll be lighter than your 525. There is no advantage at all switching to the XT Ultra. I believe this shotgun is even lighter than the 525 as well. That's why there were called Ultra's!!! As in Ultra light maybe? Most Browning target shotguns run about 8 lbs 3 oz.'s. Depending on wood. Some models are lighter, so check out your model at Browning's website. I'll need to go to the new 694 series Beretta if you want to come up to the 8 lb. 3 oz. shotgun. If you want a true 8 lb. 8 oz shotgun (like you want 8 1/2 lbs). You'll need to move up to a 8 grand shotgun. Zoli or Blazer. Of course you can find a slightly used Krieghoff for about 8 grand as well. In like new shape, from a K-gun dealer as well. They run about 8 lbs. 12 oz's, or 8 3/4 lbs!!! Good Luck on your quest for the perfect shotgun. Kolar's tend to run even more. break em all Jeff
I think you're right in saying not to stray from Browning. I'm used to the mid balace point of the 101 and Citori style action.
I'm currently using a 1980s GTI.. although with 29.5" fixed choke it's a tad light at the front. I was looking at trading in for a new 525 grade 1. The multichoke is appealing although it says it comes in at 7.9lbs

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
I was looking at trading in for a new 525 grade 1. The multichoke is appealing although it says it comes in at 7.9lbs
OK, First off there are no new 525 gr,1 shotguns being produced anymore. You may be able to find a like new model on the internet though. I was speaking of the 525 sporting. This model came with gr. III or IV wood on them. Typically, nicer wood equals more weight. So the 4 oz. difference is just the gr. difference between the wood. A easy fix with some shot in the stock hole. Since this is were the shotgun is lighter anyway.

As far as a Beretta goes. I'm not a fan of there shotguns. But I digress. You really need to mount a 600 series Shotgun from Beretta. Then, you'll know if you prefer for the stock on Brownings? Or Beretta's the best? Beretta's stocks are different than Brownings. Most people tend to like one? Or the Other? Not many like both!!! So find out which companies stock you like "Best" before you spend any money. Then you'll know, and can move in the direction of your preferred make, then look for the proper model within your budget. Good Luck on your quest for the perfect shotgun. break em all jeff

·
Administrator
8,587 Posts
There is a lot of choices out there both new and used for you. Depending on where you live or within reasonable travel distance take a look a the for sale boards at your local and semi local clubs.

Many shooters that have moved to a higher end shotgun often have nice Beretta's and Brownings for sale. You can find decent Browning 725's and Beretta's if you hard enough.

It does not hurt to put up a want to buy too.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
You can add weight to the stock and barrel weights.
Skeet_man on this forum makes some that go under the forearm.

So if the gun is a little light should not be a deal breaker if you like the feel.
In my case I like the feel of Browning Citori 425, but do not care for the action. I like the Beretta 68x action, so I have 4 O/U and 2 Unsingles. One of the O/U is a 20/28 ga combo that I put together. With the Beretta 68x it is easy to purchase barrels. The barrels often fit from the git go, but you should have it checked out by a Beretta smith.

Jason

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the 725 Pro Trap with 32 inch O/U barrels and it comes with an adjustable weight system in the stock behind the butt plate. I run all the weights in it at this time and it's 9 lbs 12ozs and the felt recoil is very low. I just wish they made it in a combo as I really like the gun.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
OK, First off there are no new 525 gr,1 shotguns being produced anymore. You may be able to find a like new model on the internet though. I was speaking of the 525 sporting. This model came with gr. III or IV wood on them. Typically, nicer wood equals more weight. So the 4 oz. difference is just the gr. difference between the wood. A easy fix with some shot in the stock hole. Since this is were the shotgun is lighter anyway.

As far as a Beretta goes. I'm not a fan of there shotguns. But I digress. You really need to mount a 600 series Shotgun from Beretta. Then, you'll know if you prefer for the stock on Brownings? Or Beretta's the best? Beretta's stocks are different than Brownings. Most people tend to like one? Or the Other? Not many like both!!! So find out which companies stock you like "Best" before you spend any money. Then you'll know, and can move in the direction of your preferred make, then look for the proper model within your budget. Good Luck on your quest for the perfect shotgun. break em all jeff
Sure, you can get a 525 new if you want to. They are still sold in the UK. Shotguns - Gunroom

The UK gets lots of nice things from Browning/Miroku that the USA doesn't. Once in a blue moon, Browning will import something nice to America. The 725s S3s for example. Those Mirkoku MK38 Traps that are sporterized are also good gun, with less of that pig on a shovel feel we all know and love.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The ultra XT Brownings are just an early silver finish XT. Browning got in trouble with Remington over the word "ultra" because of Remington's use of the word with their ultra magnum ammunition.
These guns were made in the early 2000's. Later guns just have the moniker XT. I have one that I shoot for doubles and another very good friend has one as well.
They are GREAT trap guns and will serve you well for many years. They do not have the very wide rib like your 525 though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure, you can get a 525 new if you want to. They are still sold in the UK. Shotguns - Gunroom

The UK gets lots of nice things from Browning/Miroku that the USA doesn't. Once in a blue moon, Browning will import something nice to America. The 725s S3s for example. Those Mirkoku MK38 Traps that are sporterized are also good gun, with less of that pig on a shovel feel we all know and love.
I think I've found a good compromise with the old Miroku 3800SW, 800SW/HSW. They come in at around 8.5lbs and have the classic 15mm wide rib. Not sure why there are so many variants and what the exact differences are but they seem a great match on paper. You can get a very nice grade 3 example for less than $1200

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I think I've found a good compromise with the old Miroku 3800SW, 800SW/HSW. They come in at around 8.5lbs and have the classic 15mm wide rib. Not sure why there are so many variants and what the exact differences are but they seem a great match on paper. You can get a very nice grade 3 example for less than $1200
That sounds like a great choice! I bought a new MK38 in the USA a few months ago. It's a bit more expensive, but it is what I wanted. We have a limited choice in America.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Did you really mean to say that they have a 15mm wide rib? 15mm is wider than 9/16".
Just sounds wider than any rib I ever seen

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Did you really mean to say that they have a 15mm wide rib? 15mm is wider than 9/16".
Just sounds wider than any rib I ever seen
Yep. All 15mm of it! It's just less than the 16mm Browning 'broadway' rib that can be found on the old Belgian B1/B25. I'm not too sure why they fell out of fashion. Some people find them distracting but I think it gives you the most magnificent sighting plane.. I find it also gives you the feeling of there being more margin for error - you just point the gun and pull at the trigger when you sense 'platform' passing under the bird. A narrow rib reminds me of an iron sight, which might tempt me in to looking back at it as a reference.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yep. All 15mm of it! It's just less than the 16mm Browning 'broadway' rib that can be found on the old Belgian B1/B25. I'm not too sure why they fell out of fashion. Some people find them distracting but I think it gives you the most magnificent sighting plane.. I find it also gives you the feeling of there being more margin for error - you just point the gun and pull at the trigger when you sense 'platform' passing under the bird. A narrow rib reminds me of an iron sight, which might tempt me in to looking back at it as a reference.
Wow I don't think I have ever noticed a gun with a rib that wide. I thought the rib on my Citori CX or my daughters CXS was pretty wide.
I bet a 15mm or 16mm wide rib is foumd by many to be distracting just as several I have spoken with say about shooting a SxS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts