Trapshooters Forum banner

Companies that re-purposed primers

9082 Views 44 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  erneste821
I was reading a post about a month ago about a company that was repurposing 209 primers. If any one has information about this company I would greatly appreciate getting the contact information of this company.

The person stated that the company had contacted them for any spent primers that they may have in return for a discount on new primers. They didn’t give the name or info on how to contact them.

I also am curious if they had contacted this company and had found out what their offer was towards purchasing primers from them.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Banned
684 Posts
I was reading a post about a month ago about a company that was repurposing 209 primers. If any one has information about this company I would greatly appreciate getting the contact information of this company.

The person stated that the company had contacted them for any spent primers that they may have in return for a discount on new primers. They didn’t give the name or info on how to contact them.

I also am curious if they had contacted this company and had found out what their offer was towards purchasing primers from them.
👀👁💩🚽

· Registered
36,891 Posts
209 primers are about the size of a nut bag on a rat, what's to repurpose. Not enough material there to make it remotely cost effective.
Interesting! Vernon Speer made his company during WWII recycling 22 brass. He took the spent brass and used it to make 22 caliber projectiles. Some people just don’t understand “it can’t be done.” They do it anyway.

· Premium Member
13,759 Posts
Interesting! Vernon Speer made his company during WWII recycling 22 brass. He took the spent brass and used it to make 22 caliber projectiles. Some people just don’t understand “it can’t be done.” They do it anyway.
Like encountering anything that says, "No user serviceable parts inside".

· Registered
2,877 Posts
You can reprime a 209 primer with a large rifle primer.
It would be very tedious by hand, but a assembly could be made to automate the process.
The problem now is , where do you find large rifle primers, and are they magnum primers ¿¿

· Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read this off of this site. The person that mentioned it stated that this company had asked if any of there members reload , and if they had any used primers they would give them a discount on purchasing new ones . I didn’t get involved in the conversation because I did not want to hijacked the post. At the time I didn’t think much about it because I didn’t think that it was even possible or be Worth the bother. I guess I should have asked at the time .

I tried to do a search to see if I could find the post before I posted this , with no luck.

· Registered
36,891 Posts
You can reprime a 209 primer with a large rifle primer.
It would be very tedious by hand, but a assembly could be made to automate the process.
The problem now is , where do you find large rifle primers, and are they magnum primers ¿¿
SAMMI spec diameter on a LP is .2105 to .2130

We have the chart posted here many times, the outside diameter of shot shell primer size, but not the inside. I measured just one shot shell primer and found it to be .2115. I use Winchester LP for 308’s and 30-06 which are labeled both Standard and Magnum.

Just not sure rifle primers are any cheaper or even same price as regular shot shell primers when times and prices are normal. And why couldn’t large pistol primers be used instead of rifle? Regular large pistol primers are supposed to be milder than large rifle aren’t they?

Makes one suspect LP could be used in regular shot-shell production and with demand for brass ammo, shot shell primers are missing.

· Registered
7,253 Posts
A friends father takes the brass primer cups and makes .25acp bullets out of them. Retirement has made him really nervous, like he is looking for things to tinker with. I cannot see that hobby being a big demand for the old primers that are stockpiled in old powder jugs all over the country.

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Actually, I saw where rifle cases where being modified to accept 209's a couple of months back. Then, rifle primers where $100-150/k and 209's were $50. Now, it looks like there is less of a difference.

I thought about doing modifying some rifle cases as I have more 209's than I need. I have a lathe to do the machining. BTW, a few folks are "re-manufacturing" pistol and rifle primers due to the current conditions. Not for me as I am in decent shape but they remove the anvil, punch out the firing pin indent, refill with compound, and reseat the anvil. I am too lazy to do that much work and I fear one boo-boo with the primer compound may not be pleasant at all.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.