Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just looking at some blanks and was thinking about going out to my freinds farm and possibly cutting one out. I was wondering what kinds of common wood would possibly have nice grain. also whats involved with drying wood. thanks

James.C

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
James- Walnut is my favorite wood. Blanks cut from a large crotch should, but not always, have nice figure. I like blanks cut from trees that grew very slow (dry environment). The wood is denser.

Drying is a long process. The ends of the logs should be coated with something (heavy paint, wax etc.) for about 1 year before the blanks are cut. The end of the blanks should then be coated with heavy varnish and stored for a couple of more years. I do not like to store them in a very hot/dry place like an attic. The wood should be dried very slow and never stood on its end. It is much easier to buy a dried blank than to cut a tree and make a blank.

It is very sad to spend several years nursing a blank and then cutting into the blank and discover the inside of the wood is not good enough for a custom stock.

Pat Ireland

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.