Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for design plans for a combination trap and skeet field. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I have used Rangeinfo.com in the past but it is no longer available.

thanks in advance,
KM

·
Registered
625 Posts
I like the overlayed drawing above, the skeet flights are not over the trap house. I read somewhere that a club placed a skeet field over an older trap field but made the mistake of placing the skeet flights directly over the trap house. If there was wind, a pressure change occurred over the trap house and that affected the flight of the skeet targets. Just something to avoid.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If you are not land locked I suggest you do separate fields especially if you have it accessible to the public. Personal use is ok.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have done lots of google searches but I am looking for detailed layout to give a contractor. with measurements such as depth of trap house thickness of concrete etc

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
The first example posted by Shotgunpeople is the most commonly used if it is to be a single field the back walkway can be removed to save concrete costs. There is a company you can rent trap house ATA spec forms from and have heard of a company that has walkway forms available. Depending upon your location Golden West can provide turn-key installation.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I like the overlayed drawing above, the skeet flights are not over the trap house. I read somewhere that a club placed a skeet field over an older trap field but made the mistake of placing the skeet flights directly over the trap house. If there was wind, a pressure change occurred over the trap house and that affected the flight of the skeet targets. Just something to avoid.
The wind affects flight path of targets PLENTY when they escape the wind shadow of the high house, which is typically a cement block tower 8 or 10 ft wide.
The "ground effect" of the trap house is relatively trivial.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
I've also shot at a skeet field where the trap house was INSIDE the skeet field, meaning the trap house was between station 4 and 8, next to 8.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
If you want ATA specs for a trap house in relation to dimensions of the house and trap mounting in relation to 16-yard station #3 you will find that in the ATA rule book.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Here is a view of field four at our club. It is a combo trap and skeet field. The hard to see white dot between trap position 3 and the trap house is the skeet flight line. We have four fields just like this, plus three dedicated trap fields.
Plant Asphalt Road surface Urban design Font

·
Registered
259 Posts
The skeet flight lines are actually the white spot just in front of the center 2 blue squares. I think it is about 4 yards out. Correction, 6 yards out per the diagram earlier.

For a one field set up this would be good. I see big issues if there are skeet shooters on an adjacent field. First would be that post 1 and 5 look to be in front of the skeet houses and may be in the sight lines from shooters when they are close to the houses, and more likely is that the trap field takes LOTS of target fragments from the skeet shooters!

Local club is 2 fields, and the overlay has the skeet pads at the 26 yard line, and you can still get big pieces coming from the side. The pictured one above has the trap field way forward and much more likely to be in the target piece frag zone. As much as folks hate an auto loader chucking empties I'd bet there would be people walking off if half a clay hit their high dollar K or P gun!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is a range that I go to frequently that has this set-up, I am just looking for specifics like you would give to a contractor so he can bid the job. Thanks to everyone for trying to help I guess we will just have to take a trip to the gun club and do some measuring

1 - 19 of 19 Posts