Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with add-on comb raising kits? Or another way to get an adjustable comb on to an existing stock? A PFS or full blown adjustable comb is not an option right now, and I need to come up with something for a couple kids.

Thanks.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with add-on comb raising kits? Or another way to get an adjustable comb on to an existing stock? A PFS or full blown adjustable comb is not an option right now, and I need to come up with something for a couple kids.

Thanks.
An adjustable comb might be more affordable than you think, get ahold Joe at Tronspace or here @Tron and see what might be possible.
Also, being able to adjust left/right might be as beneficial as raising it.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
IMO, an adjustable comb should be standard on EVERY clay target shotgun, and is the ONE thing worth spending your money on when it comes to after-market accessories.

As previously mentioned, Tron does an excellent job for a very reasonable price.

As I've stated before on this site numerous times, if I ever need another one installed on a shotgun, it's going to Tron!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you're looking for something temporary that you can put on a gun as proof of concept that raising the comb will be helpful, get some "vet wrap" or other self adhesive wrap and a thin yoga/camping mat or other thin foam. Cut strips of the foam about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. Use the vet wrap to hold it on top of the comb by wrapping around the stock. Put a piece of adhesive backed felt or mole skin where the cheek will rest to prevent chafing. You can stack the foam or mole skin layers to fine tune the height. For the price of one aftermarket kit, you can buy supplies to do more guns than you need and it can be done on the fly at the range. It's a bit "shadetree" but works fine. I did my daughter's rifle this way 2 yrs ago. If done neatly with it doesn't look bad at all. If it works, and the shooter is serious about continuing to shoot, then they can save their money and invest in an adjustable comb. Lots of you tube videos covering different variations of the method.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much all. We will be exploring each option as we move forward. Very helpful group of people.

Nathan

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Thank you very much all. We will be exploring each option as we move forward. Very helpful group of people.

Nathan
People think that wrapping chunks of stuff on a comb will make a difference, and it will but you go wrapping too much and it’ll push the kids head left/right as well. So by raising the POI you may be moving it left/right thus compounding the problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It certainly is easy to start pushing the comb to the left (or right for left hander) if you're not carful. If you keep the strips no wider than needed and keep their edges following the line of the stock it works pretty well. Keep any layers on the side of the stock to a minimum. If you find you've pushed things to the side, it all comes off in a few seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts