Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
055756C3-3756-431D-B84F-F4750B2CF888.jpeg
Can anyone recommend the best way to reattach the mounting brackets back into my stock? It seems to have been nothing more than glued there!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
You might be able to reattach the hardware with countersunk wood screws. Pull the butt plate off and see how much wood is left between the bottom of the holes for the hardware and the hole bored for the stock screw. If not enough it's back to epoxy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you wind up re-epoxying the hardware, make sure you clean all of the old adhesive off the hardware and the stock. Some epoxies won't sure properly if the surfaces have other glues (or other contamination) on them.

If it were me, I would probably use a 2 part epoxy like JB Weld - available almost everywhere.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,237 Posts
Clean the hardware up with a wire wheel Dremel bit (be careful, wear safety glasses) and get all old glue out, tape over underside of hardware so that epoxy doesn't get in, clean out holes for the hardware with a Dremel drum sander, re-glue hardware using JB weld and NOT 2 part clear epoxy. As epoxy ages, it continues to get harder and harder and more and more brittle.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I am more in favor of following Trons advice, except after all it clean, moisten the stock with water. Then apply polyurethane glue. AKA Gorilla glue .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all.

this is a DT 11. Is glueing the typical way to go, or is hard anchored preferable?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Hard anchoring would be best. But I am guessing there is a reason Beretta didn't or couldn't use screws. The polyurethane glue is very strong, I am not an epoxy fan,

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
There’s nothing to screw it to. The wood is very thin beneath the hardware. Gorilla glue is messy and not nearly as strong as JB weld.
I found that to be true when trying to glue the primer chute back on to the slide part. First night used Gorilla glue, didn't work very well, came apart while I was trying to install it. Cleaned it up again, and used regular Super Glue. Ran over a 1000 rounds with it so far, holding strong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting. I recently had one post of a Mark Deprez comb lift up on my Perazzi MXS. Seems like a technical issue with Mark's method.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts