Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A GOOD FRIEND AND MASTER GUNSMITH IS THINNING OUT HIS COLLECTION AND ASKED IF I COULD HELP HIM OUT. NOT SURE ON THE VALUE OF THIS PIECE BUT READING SOME OF THE THREADS IT LOOKS LIKE THERE ARE A FEW COLT EXPERTS OUT THERE THAT COULD HELP. THIS IS A 1970 GENERATION 2 SAA IN 45 COLT, 5.5" BBL, TEST FIRED BUT IN AS NEW CONDITION WITH THE ORIGINAL STAG GRIPS. ANY HELP ON VALUE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS.

turtleut_2012_280334.jpg

turtleut_2012_280333.jpg

turtleut_2012_280332.jpg

turtleut_2012_280330.jpg

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Not sure of the value but UNFIRED in the original box would make it worth a lot more.....

Ken Rucker

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
READING SOME OF THE OTHER THREADS A GEN 3 WOULD BE IN THAT RANGE BUT A GEN 2 SHOULD BRING A BETTER PRICE, OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING? RUCK I AM WITH YOU ON THE UNFIRED PART, BUT BOXES CAN BE HAD FOR ABOUT 250, IF THAT WOULD BE THE DECIDING FACTOR ON VALUE.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
claybrdr is in the right range. 4and 3/4" barrels are more sought after, worth more. No box, ORIGINAL box is worth more. Prove the grips are original. Still been fired. I'd get a Colt letter before I'd spend $250 on a box that is not original with the gun, but then, I'm no expert.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
NIB 3rd gen. SAA's can be had for $1350- $1400. A NIB 2nd gen. should bring in the neighborhood of $2000. To be considered NIB the cylinder can't have been turned. Also, caliber is a factor in the price. I think a fair price for the gun above, all things considered, would be $1300- $1400. JMHO.

Ken Rucker

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
It is not a particularly early 2nd (56XXX); Type III hammer; it has a 5.5" barrel - no help there; slim chance the stags are original. SA Colts are a lot softer than they were 10 years ago.....

I'm with claybrdr - as a max price.

M.D.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that the owner of this gun had it as a shooter not a looker, he has several looker SAA's and gen 1 SAA's. i know the stag is not aftermarket, if it is original to the ssn # i cant say. Thanks for all the info i will pass it on and see if wants to sell it in that 1600 range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts