Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have a new in the box (blue box) a Colt Single Action 44-40 revolver serial number SA-98xxx and have no idea what it is worth. Are there any Colt experts that can help me?

You can PM me for more privacy if wanted.

Jim

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
In addition to what jbmi told you, the SA's with 4-3/4" barrel length seem to generate a little more interest and sell a little quicker. You have a good caliber. The .357 and .38 Spls. don't do so well as the 44-40 and 45LC.
M.D.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a Colt SAA 45LC in 4 3/4" barrel with Colt factory Stag grips. Would market be around the same or?
third generation.
Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
.44 specials are relatively rare and very popular in the First 2 Generation guns by and large. You see more 44-40s in the First and Third Generation guns. First is good, Third the lowest value. Colt has really muddied the waters recently with more affordable guns designed to compete in the Cowboy game that followed the Third Generation guns. I no longer keep up with them but did back in the '70s and earlier. I will say off the top of my head that I don't recall seeing a 44/40 Second Gen gun unless it was a commemorative of some type. I certainly haven't seen them all!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Dave:
Yes, somewhere around the same price - if in very high condition. Having original box, etc., sure helps.
M.D.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Gen 3 Colt SAA 4.75" in 45 LC in mint shape with factory stag grips worth in the $1,650 range

Grips are rare and desireable. Probably add $250 to the gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received the gun as a gift in 1979 and put it in the gun room. My friend also gave me a leather side rig with cartridge loops and right hand holster. Both have been in the gun room for 34 years.

The leather is probably now formed in the shape of a hanging belt by now. But I opened the pistol box and the gun looks perfect to me.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
AS a point of trivia I just discovered - During the real "cowboy era" 44-40s were more poplar than 45LC. Why? Same ammo for both the Colt and Winchester. I just learned that. It was interesting to me anyway.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Because the 44/40 is a far better black powder round in a rifle than 45 Colt. In fact there were no lever action rifles in 45 Colt in the old west. The 45 Colt rim is smaller leading to extraction problems and the 44/40 shoots much cleaner due to the brass being thinner and of slight bottleneck design.

Ken Rucker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts