Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up Colt Army Special in 32-20 75% condition Can any one tell me about these things? What are they worth? Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Check out the Wikipedia article above.

Serial # can tell you when it was produced. (www.proofhouse.com)

For value, check comparable items on gunsamerica, guns international etc.

I have an Army Special in 38 Special (see below). Had Colt rebuild and reblue it a few years ago. Looks and shoots like new. The action in those older Colts was hand built and pretty close to the smooth Python actions.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Gene, I have 2 in .38 special. One has a peice missing out of the grip. Do you know what grips would fit this model? What frame are these?

Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Alan:
Don't, offhand, know the frame designation. I just had my original grips rebuilt and refurbished by a fellow in Texas. He did a nice job at a reasonable price.

His name is Hugh Clark, PO Box 598, Devers, Tx 77538.

Email is **[email protected]*net** (get rid of the *s).

You could also check the Colt Forum discussion groups.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
101 Posts
The army special is fairly equivalent to the S&W K frame guns. The .32-20 is a great cartridge but you need to reload or pay $$$$. In 75% your gun is probably worth in the area of $300.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Alan:
Now that Glenncal1 mentions it, I recall buying a set of after market target grips and they do fit my Army Special. I'd have to look and see the brand and frame designation. My mobility isn't the best right now.

glenncal1:

I took the liberty of displaying below the pic you cited.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Don't want to take someone's thread over, but while you're talking about Colt grips, I have two sets of grips, they are plastic or some such material. Both are the same size, fairly large, with a simple diamond inside the pressed checkering pattern.

One has a right hand thumb rest, and both are in boxes from Herrett's Shooting Stars-Genuine Walnut Handgun Stocks- Herrett's handgun Stocks, Twin Falls, Idaho.

On the end flaps of each box it reads:

...........................Herrett's Shooting Stars.............................

............................R-P--------$9.95....................................

....................COLT SQUARE BUTT FRAME, Python,.............................

.................Officer's Model, Trooper and Official Police..................

I'm assuming these are take-offs, because it says the ones in the box were Walnut.

Does anyone know about these grips.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts