Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for colored factory lead shot at either #8 or #7.5.

Specifically looking for very bright shot (Orange, Red, Florescent).

I have made my own, it was fun, but I want to know if there is any factory based.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I have never seen/heard of such a thing as painted/dyed shot. I'm guessing the intended purpose is to make the shot more visible while it's in the air. Does this really work? Can you see something moving that fast better if it is of a bright color?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I have never tried it, but I would think that brightly colored shot might be visible when shooting under lights. Sometimes if the overcast and light is right I can see a blur that I think is the shot cloud.

·
Registered
20,886 Posts
ATA rule XIII, G, 2 page 48 of the 2015 printing covers the use of such shot in tournament play.

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
I`ll take mine in black please .

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Spectra sells waterfowl loads in different colors for post retrieve ID of the birds Not sure if they will coat lead shot

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Under the right light conditions, and especially under the lights at night, I can easily see the shot cloud when others are shooting and I am behind them. If the sun is behind you and someone is using "polished" shot which looks like nickel coated shot, the shot cloud literately glitters as it travels from the gun to the target.

What is interesting about all of this is that I shoot with multiple friends who claim they have NEVER seen shot fired out of a shotgun. For me, it's always been pretty easy to see. Unfortunately, I can't see the shot cloud when I am shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My intention with the shot is two fold; (1) Identification (2) pattern visualization.

I have cooked up a batch of Bright Red/Orange #7.5.
This batch will be used with a SkotKam.
I will post some of the images.

Hopefully this color will do well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
For me, anytime I see my own shot my head is off the stock and I missed, but seeing others' is pretty easy. I think with my head on the stock it takes my eyes a bit to refocus after getting whacked with a gun. I have a new sliding comb setup as soon as I get it inletted and finished. Maybe I'll see my own shot then.

Copper plated shot like the old Federal live pigeon load is really bright under the lights. I used to use copper plated shot for my back fence loads, but it made it impossible to get someone to shoot through. If they didn't see the copper they knew I had slipped in a slow load, lol.

I tried painting a bag of shot spread out on concrete with dayglo orange. I evidently didn't let it dry enough as all the loads looked like slugs. The paint glued the shot into a single lump.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
For me, anytime I see my own shot my head is off the stock and I missed, but seeing others' is pretty easy. I think with my head on the stock it takes my eyes a bit to refocus after getting whacked with a gun. I have a new sliding comb setup as soon as I get it inletted and finished. Maybe I'll see my own shot then.

Copper plated shot like the old Federal live pigeon load is really bright under the lights. I used to use copper plated shot for my back fence loads, but it made it impossible to get someone to shoot through. If they didn't see the copper they knew I had slipped in a slow load, lol.

I tried painting a bag of shot spread out on concrete with dayglo orange. I evidently didn't let it dry enough as all the loads looked like slugs. The paint glued the shot into a single lump.
After thinking about this for a while, the shooter's eyes are (or should be) focused on the target, making it difficult to see anything moving as fast as a shot pattern in between the end of the barrel and the target., So I can understand why it would be difficult for the shooter to see the shot in-flight. Bystanders, on the other hand, are in a much better position to see the shot in-flight because they are not so focused on the target.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are very likely correct and it hadn't occurred to me. It's not the same thing as the speeds are different but when shooting FITA, archery, even at 100 meters I can see my arrow all the way to the target. But it is probably a streak as my eyes continue to focus on the bull and the arrow moves first into periphery at the top of its trajectory then back to center and ending in focus. I've never really tried to define what I see. It will be interesting next spring to note what I actually do see. I hope I don't start a bad habit of moving my focus to the arrow, lol. It's the lifting your head of shotgun shooting, or more closely related, looking back at the barrel as the shot breaks on crossers.

Somebody won a case of those tracker AA's and we were playing with them at the club a few weeks back. Most of us couldn't see the wad when shooting but it was very easy to follow when watching.

·
Registered
544 Posts
As to coloring shot, one of our local clubs had their shot reclaimed in the drop zone. I noticed most of the shot was coated in dirt and was brown. They make some candy by rolling granules in a drum until they ball up. So, would it be possible to dry roll shot in some sort of colored material until it picks up color? you might be able to heat it just a bit get and some powder coat to stick. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts