Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the contact lenses for color blindness or the glasses. I'm extremely color blind and looking at all my options to improve my ability to pick out the targets from the background.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am also color blind and I have the vermilion colored lenses for most backgrounds. Especially good in bright sun shine. I also have yellow for low light and of course, clear for under the lights.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
One of the sports best shooters is colorblind. Matt Bartholow has proven a shooter can overcome this hurdle. I don’t know the particulars on the exact colors or make of lenses he uses, but I do know he has always paid close attention to lens color. While lens color is important for all shooters, it is of particular importance to color deficient or color blind shooters.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I'm about as color blind as you can be and now use Radian Clay Pro Vermillion sport glasses from Amazon. They're very effective providing incredible color enhancement and only $18! Better than my 4 pair of Decots.
Worth a try.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Best for me are from Decot. The color is "Pink Blaze". I have been shooting that color for many years and I've tried many others. I always go back.

The only drawback is shooting all-orange targets over the snow. Those are hard to pick up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am red/green deficient. Orange targets with; green backgound , blue sky, or overcast is bad for me. I read somewhere that for red/green color blindness it is best to have red in the lens. Vermillion for average days, purple for bright sun, and pink for low light. They all have red in the lens. I tried some Pilla glasses that made the orange targets jump out. They were purple with background neutralizers. I have yet to buy them because of cost though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm sure that Matt will jump on this thread when he returns from the SHOT show. Matt is red/green color deficient and the vermillion/red lenses work great for him. We did discover, kind of by accident, that blue kind of helped to brighten things up for him. L&M Lenses developed a color of lens for Matt, called the MB Purple. It has a little more red in the purple shade.
I will also add that we did get the color-blind glasses (Enchroma) for him one year. He tried to wear them for shooting, but they brightened everything, and didn't really mute the background colors and make the target pop for him. The glasses, however, helped him to see the hundreds of colors in a pheasant and turkey! (Yes, I was bawling like a baby when he made that revelation).
If anyone ever has questions, please feel free to PM Matt here.
Thanks,
Char

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm sure that Matt will jump on this thread when he returns from the SHOT show. Matt is red/green color deficient and the vermillion/red lenses work great for him. We did discover, kind of by accident, that blue kind of helped to brighten things up for him. L&M Lenses developed a color of lens for Matt, called the MB Purple. It has a little more red in the purple shade.
I will also add that we did get the color-blind glasses (Enchroma) for him one year. He tried to wear them for shooting, but they brightened everything, and didn't really mute the background colors and make the target pop for him. The glasses, however, helped him to see the hundreds of colors in a pheasant and turkey! (Yes, I was bawling like a baby when he made that revelation).
If anyone ever has questions, please feel free to PM Matt here.
Thanks,
Char
I spoke with Matt threw Facebook and he told me about his MB purple lens through LM. It is a fantastic lens and I suggest it to anyone with a red/green deficiency. Vermilion works wonders for me as well. I love seeing that target pop.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I am red/green deficient. A place to start would be RE Ranger light purple, HD Medium/Dark and HD Copper. I am sure Pilla and everyone else has equivalents.

HD Copper works best for me. On silvery overcast winter Idays go to clear as that works better. No green leaves in winter in Helheim.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I use a lens Decot calls BB-6. I shoot bunker and see only all orange targets. I best describe the lens as ruby red. It turns an orange target nearly white and kills the background so the target is virtually isolated from the background. It is the only lens I own and works in almost any light. The only trouble is with a white cloud background and I haven't found anyone who has a lens they are confident of in this condition.
A friend has a medium shade as the dark red causes a normally sighted person to feel nauseous. However, the only maker we found was Lehman! The medium has the same effect and can be used by anyone.
I've tried other vermillion and pink blaze, etc. and have not found an equal to the BB-6.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm yellow,red,green and blue color deficient. The older I get the distance that color disappears get shorter. If I hang a clay target on a tree with the woods as a background, at 20 yards it disappears.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I borrowed a pair of EnChroma color correction glasses and shot some clays here on my cow pasture range. They didn't work for me, I wore them for 1/2 an hour then wanted then OFF! The Army told me I was 75% color blind..... whatever.
I have used various vermillion shades, some really dark. I got a set of UV this or that's and was shooting from a reduced 25 yard line, nailed back to back 97's in one afternoon during the Western Zone shoot--tried the lenses again and can't see/hit squat!!
My advice is play with different lenses for different backgrounds and cloudy days. Alan Lehman helped me a lot with different color lenses.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know I was color blind until I had a test to enter the military. After the exam his statement to me was, your one color blind sum bitch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My son is partially color blind. Green, blues, and red. He uses ranger edge. Dark Purple for bright light and a lighter orange for low light and night time work for him

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to LM Lenses today, they recommended red 600,red 400 and red 300. Tonight shooting under the lights vermilion lenses made the targets pop for me. I was able to try a fellow shooters Rangers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts