Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a current student working on getting a team started at a college in northern MN (University of MN Duluth). We have everything approved through the school, we are now more so working on actually starting and running the active club.

Any tips? Finding a coach/help?

What are your thoughts on ACUI vs. SCTP?

Also, any ideas on gun storage options if we can't store guns are the club (and obviously not on campus either). We are struggling with this one.

Thanks for any tips or help!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hello UMDShooter and welcome to the forum! :) I'm sorry that I have no suggestions on your questions, but I'm sure that some of the knowledgeable people here at TS.com will be able to assist you.

Small world...as my son is a freshman this year at UMD and is planning on attending a meeting for the shooting club on September 14. Perhaps this is the same club you are referring to in your post. Good luck and I hope to hear many great things about the club at UMD. Go Bulldogs! - Jeff

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
So I'm a current student working on getting a team started at a college in northern MN (University of MN Duluth). We have everything approved through the school, we are now more so working on actually starting and running the active club.

Any tips? Finding a coach/help?

What are your thoughts on ACUI vs. SCTP?

Also, any ideas on gun storage options if we can't store guns are the club (and obviously not on campus either). We are struggling with this one.

Thanks for any tips or help!

I looked at the ATA website to try and find if there are any coaches close to UMD, but not quite sure who is closest. You can try this: http://www.shootata.com/portals/0/pdf/Web_Site_Coach_List.pdf. There might even be a Wisconsin based coach close too.

Check with the club you are going to use for activities, I know our club supports the UND team, we support them with a coach if needed. You could also look into the AIM program, if the club supports it you could have some opportunities there too.

As for gun storage, check with the campus security/police. I know UND has a storage facility on campus where the students are able to check in/out their guns when needed.

If you need more information feel free to send me a PM and I will get you my e-mail to answer any other questions that you might have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I go to Iowa State. We just got our first volunteer coach after 40 years. We have an advisor which is just a member of the university faculty that does our paperwork. We participate in ACUI shoots as well as unsanctioned shoots that different colleges host. We are hosting ours on Oct 1st and 2nd. 100 Trap, 100 skeet, 100 sporting clays, and 50 doubles trap. Look up Collegiate Clay Targets on Facebook. We don't have enough schools from the upper Midwest.
As far as gun storage goes most of us live off campus so we just keep them at our apartments or houses. The freshmen usually keep them with someone from the club that doesn't live on campus.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,318 Posts
When I was in college (1962-1966) I used to carry my gun into the dorm and keep it in my room. Finally someone complained about my having a gun in the dorm and they gave me a locker in the boiler room to keep my gun in. The boiler room was manned 24/7 so I had complete access to my shotgun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Pro tips from a former college shooter.

1) Start a MidwayUSA account. It keeps money coming each year and they have fundraising items you can get for free. People are nice there and you should be able to call and get it setup and tell you all the benefits.

2) Apply for the NSSF grant. It is only available for the first two years you are a team I believe and can get you $10,000 (I would recommend putting it in the midway account)

3) Some schools actually have gun safes donated and are allowed to store firearms in the on campus police department. Relationships go a long way and this will help.

4) Starting a club is hard but if you have the driven teammates it can go a long way.

If you have any other questions about anything shoot me a message. Russ Arnold with ACUI could be a good guy to contact and could help you start your team.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
ACUI Collegiate Clay Target Program

Also get in touch with Amanda Wonderash with the SCTP.

Staff - Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation

She can put you in touch with the regional advisor in your area. They may have help for you. I highly recommend you start a cycle of getting athletes trained as level 1 coaches. This helps build the team as new recruits come on line.
The ACUI is the governing body for College level shooting. They run the National match held in San Antonio. You will want to attend this when you can.
Its a tournament with all the clay games. The teams that attend don't all shoot every discipline. But the best teams have athletes that can shoot "all Around" which means that they are proficient at the trap, sporting and skeet targets. International low gun skeet is part of this.
Start with what you know and add as you can.
Second the advice on getting a Midway USA Foundation account started. The Potterfield family is very dedicated to building a long standing base of support for high school and college teams. They have done an amazing job of getting that work moving.
Terri Dewitt or Jeff McClure can help you with that.
Meet Our Team - MidwayUSA Foundation

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello UMDShooter and welcome to the forum! :) I'm sorry that I have no suggestions on your questions, but I'm sure that some of the knowledgeable people here at TS.com will be able to assist you.

Small world...as my son is a freshman this year at UMD and is planning on attending a meeting for the shooting club on September 14. Perhaps this is the same club you are referring to in your post. Good luck and I hope to hear many great things about the club at UMD. Go Bulldogs! - Jeff
Yes this is indeed the club that I am referring to! I look forward to meeting your son and all the other shooters this coming Wednesday!

Thank you so much everyone for all the replies, it really helps a lot!

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
When I was in college (1962-1966) I used to carry my gun into the dorm and keep it in my room. Finally someone complained about my having a gun in the dorm and they gave me a locker in the boiler room to keep my gun in. The boiler room was manned 24/7 so I had complete access to my shotgun.
I graduated High School in 1967. We all kept our gun in our cars and trucks back then because a lot of us went hunting and shooting after school. Our Basket Ball Coach and PE teacher kept his Model 12 in his locker in the gym. My how times have changed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I go to Iowa State. We just got our first volunteer coach after 40 years. We have an advisor which is just a member of the university faculty that does our paperwork. We participate in ACUI shoots as well as unsanctioned shoots that different colleges host. We are hosting ours on Oct 1st and 2nd. 100 Trap, 100 skeet, 100 sporting clays, and 50 doubles trap. Look up Collegiate Clay Targets on Facebook. We don't have enough schools from the upper Midwest.
As far as gun storage goes most of us live off campus so we just keep them at our apartments or houses. The freshmen usually keep them with someone from the club that doesn't live on campus.
Could you send me more info on your tournament? I'm thinking we may like to attend if possible!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Establish a Midway USA foundation account. Home - MidwayUSA Foundation. They have some "getting started" grants and information.

The ACUI sponsors the collegiate national championships and the shotgun bowl series
ACUI Collegiate Clay Target Program

Contact Russ Arnold [email protected] He works with the ACUI. He can help with getting a college team started.

The college championship has American Trap, American Skeet, Sporting Clays, five stand, International Trap, and International Skeet. A lot of the college meets have trap, skeet and sporting clays (Shotgun Bowl Series). While to be competitive internationally you need to specialize, the colleges are looking for all around shooters.

Look at the ACUI Shotgun Bowl Series and the ACUI National Championship. That is the competitions most college teams attend.

·
Registered
863 Posts
In addition to the PM I sent you I should of also sent the info that Midway USA is a tremendous supporter of any of the youth shooting programs.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Easiest way is to earn it: Get started with a car wash, bake sale, run a 50/50 raffle at the club... there are tons of ways to do easy, effective fundraising.

Get a hold of the Midway USA Foundation and get involved in some of their programs, they are no cost up-front. They earn instant revenue and will build for the future.

Fundraising - MidwayUSA Foundation

I also suggest joining the SCTP, they have numerous programs to assist teams with fundraising. They also have new team packages.

SCTP Deals & Promotions - Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation

SW

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Not saying I'm an old fart, but I shot in the 9th Annual ACUI in Omaha, NE. I was one of the 5 guys on the team who won the trap portion, shooting 200 singles targets. Good luck, and it's a memory that you'll have for life just being a part of such an event.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our son goes to college and stores his gun at a storage place near the college. That way he has access to it whenever he wants if he has to drive to a shoot the night before.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I wish I wasn't 90 miles away, I'd volunteer to help with a Bulldog Trap team, despite my going to the U of M (Gophers, back in '82). Good luck with the team, maybe we'll cross paths if you do any shooting in NW WI. SCTP is a great organization, I volunteer for a High School team.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I started the Miss State program. It only took 12 years!!!
Go back up to pullthattarget. He is 100% right on point. Midway is better than GREAT AND DO GET IN TOUCH WITH RUSS.
ACUI hosts all the collegiate shoots and you need to be involved if you ever want the college to help you. THEN inside that encourage your shooters to join AIM. Any shooting discipline will only help you. And most have scholarships or assistance funds.

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT GUNS ON CAMPUS. FIND OUT WHAT YOUR LAWS ARE AND DON'T TEMPT ANYBODY!!!
MSU has a O tolerance and if you are stopped with a gun on campus you get an immediate dismissal and a felony arrest charge.
We bought two safes for the club, housed them at the gun club, and only the team captain and college sponsor have combinations. This is a little troublesome at times but much better than a police charge!

You are about to meet some of the finest young people and have the most rewarding experiences ever!!
Wish I were closer to help! (You might look at MSU Shooting Sports face book page-might be some help there for you too)
Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts