Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little quarantine fever here but have a question for the brain trust. Would love a few ideas.

Obviously haven't been able to shoot much over these last two weeks but the times I have I have returned home with what felt like a raw spot on my collarbone and slightly above it. Not a lot of pain but a small amount. I've had one suggestion that the Gooey pad I'm using is moving around in my shoulder pocket causing the issue. Some say maybe I'm pulling in the gun too tight.

Anyone had this issue or maybe there is something else I can try?

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Little quarantine fever here but have a question for the brain trust. Would love a few ideas.

Obviously haven't been able to shoot much over these last two weeks but the times I have I have returned home with what felt like a raw spot on my collarbone and slightly above it. Not a lot of pain but a small amount. I've had one suggestion that the Gooey pad I'm using is moving around in my shoulder pocket causing the issue. Some say maybe I'm pulling in the gun too tight.

I had this develop after having a RAD Recoil device put on my gun.
Also, tank tops and hoodies can cause irritation, the pad doesn't fit well in the pocket.
I bought some great, padded shirts from Recoil Apparel, they do a great job and are large enough, IMHO, to prevent the clavicular abrasions.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Check and make sure the shirt you are wearing does not wrinkle up when you mount your gun. A loose t shirt can cause the recoil pad to scoot on the wrinkle and will leave a raw rubbed spot.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
You want the gun mounted between the collar bone and shoulder joint. If I had to guess I would say you are pulling the gun out of position when you tighten your mount.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,202 Posts
You want the gun mounted between the collar bone and shoulder joint. If I had to guess I would say you are pulling the gun out of position when you tighten your mount.
Just for clarity, where would that be? The shoulder joint (there are two, but I assume you mean the AC not the glenohuneral) is made of the acromion of the humerus and the clavicle. Hard to mount it between itself?

·
Registered
150 Posts

I had a similar issue. I broke my collar bone playing hockey when I was a teenager. I mentioned it to Jimmy at Wenig when he was making my stock. He removed some material from recoil pad where it contacted my collar bone. Recoil pad fits great and no more mark.

I agree with others here that your shirt could be part of the problem. Have a look and see if it bunches up under your recoil pad. I also had a t-shirt that had a seam right across my shoulder in the collar bone area. I'd always have a mark after wearing that shirt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
J.A.R. ELLIOTT’S MISFORTUNE.
“Crack Shot Has to Undergo an Operation”
The “Cincinnati Inquirer” of Oct. 1, 1902 contains the following:
J. A. R. Elliott, the champion wing shot of the world, is himself badly winged and a patient at the Seton Hospital where he yesterday submitted to a painful operation at the hands of Dr. L.E. Russell. His affliction is directly due to his profession of a shooter, and has been several years in developing. About two months ago while at his home in Kansas City, Mo., Mr. Elliott noticed that every time he raised his gun to his shoulder the shock would cause a slight pain, increased many times as the weapon was discharged.
Submitting himself to Dr. Russell for examination the physician soon discovered that a fibroid tumor had developed immediately over the clavicle. This tumor formation was caused by the recoil of the gun. Mr. Elliott estimating that he bad fired the weapon over 5000 times during the year.

Keep in mind that those 5000 shots were with a < 8# gun with 1 1/4 oz. 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 Dr.Eq. loads.

You could have a subperiosteal hematoma of your clavicle and they are very painful.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I had a similar issue. I broke my collar bone playing hockey when I was a teenager. I mentioned it to Jimmy at Wenig when he was making my stock. He removed some material from recoil pad where it contacted my collar bone. Recoil pad fits great and no more mark.

I agree with others here that your shirt could be part of the problem. Have a look and see if it bunches up under your recoil pad. I also had a t-shirt that had a seam right across my shoulder in the collar bone area. I'd always have a mark after wearing that shirt.

Good luck.
This seems like a really good option assuming your cast and toe are already good to go.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Dump a lot of talcum powder onto the affected area before shooting. I get a problem when i wear rough cotton tee shirts.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I've had the same problem. I tried moving my gun around a little but scores suffered. Not sure if that was a result of me thinking about the butt stock instead of the target or a POI issue. Problem was solved 2 years ago when I started wearing the UPF fishing shirts Like HUK and Columbia. One very important thing is don't get the ones that have a seam right through the area. Your butt stock will shred the fibers and look horrible. Also don't get White. A funny thing though. Prior to the fishing shirt solution I had success using a feminine maxipad under my shirt on the collar bone. It worked great right up until my shooting buddies saw it....That's when I needed a different solution.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Perhaps a surgeon could make your collarbone adjustable ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really enjoying all these responses. This is a "custom" fit stock to me from Wenig. A few days ago I was at the shop where I met up with Jimmy. He did take pitch out from the stock. I asked him about the rubbing /raw part on my collarbone. He was one to suggest that the pad may be moving in the collarbone and that I put in the gun fairly tight thus causing the Gooey pad to compress

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve had it happen, you are shooting more upright than your comb/rib will allow. You will either have to change your mount, change your rib and comb (go to high rib), or live with the raw spot.

You may also be a little too square to the target, so you might need to adjust your feet so that the gun mounts more across your body and pockets a little further from your body’s centerline

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hold the forend tighter. Pull it closer to your body. Keep that shoulder square to the ground.

Keep the trigger elbow parallel to the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts