Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting back to reloading after a multi-year layoff..............

I would like opinions on which of these powders the reloading gurus would recommend for 1 ounce loads (#8 shot), 1200 fps, in an upstate NY winter?

I have Clays, Titegroup, WST, and Bullseye.

DR Hybrid wads (Fig 8 base, Windjammer petals), WW 209 primers, AA HS hulls. Using a P/W 950 machine.

Thanks.

Ric

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run clays year round, it performs well for me. I just shot yesterday and it was -2 so I know it works well when very cold and have shot good scores with it. I would recommend going to larger shot though 8 can dust more targets instead of breaking them. I like 7 1/2 more than 8s but that's personal preference.
My load is 1oz(7 1/2 shot) Clays, Win replacement wads, Remington hulls, and chedite primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
I generally use published recipes with a hotter primers (Fed 209A or CCI-M) in winter.

Cesare

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
of the powders you listed, I would go with clays, and similar to Gamba Man indicated I use fed 209A or Winchester 209, which have done well for me in winter in west central Wisconsin, very similar climate to upstate New York.

I would not use fiocchi, noble sport or similar primers. Myself and others I shoot regularly with have encountered off sounding weak sounding loads with those primers in cold weather.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
of the powders you listed, I would go with clays, and similar to Gamba Man indicated I use fed 209A or Winchester 209, which have done well for me in winter in west central Wisconsin, very similar climate to upstate New York.

I would not use fiocchi, noble sport or similar primers. Myself and others I shoot regularly with have encountered off sounding weak sounding loads with those primers in cold weather.
Never used Fiocchi, but had the same issues as shrek in cool to cold temps (ie 35 deg. and lower) I also go to a "hotter" primer. Even though most others consider Rem. a mild primer I've had my best\most consistent results with Rems. and\or Fed. Have probably used more Rems. than Feds. but due to current prices I'm now using Feds. Haven't used any NS for about 5 years, maybe\hopefully they have corrected that problem by now. Ross Puls

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had no idea that cold weather would affect 12 gauge target ammo , what type of problems would come about in cold weather ?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I think you would do better to pay more attention to the primer you use than the powders. Some primers exhibit more temperature sensitivity than others.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do the Nobel Sport 688's work well in Gun Club hulls? I have a bunch of GC hulls to load and am in need of primers now.
thanks

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I had no idea that cold weather would affect 12 gauge target ammo , what type of problems would come about in cold weather ?
From your screen name, it's not likely something you will ever need to worry about. But, some powders are more susceptible than others to cold weather, and causing blooper shots occasionally. If you want to join a real catfight, go visit the "other" shotgun board, and check out the thread on single-base powder.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is Green Dot noted for performing well or poorly under cold conditions? Anyone have any poor experience with Green Dot under cold conditions? By cold I don't mean sub zero. Cold for this region is about teens to 30s. It typically doesn't get any colder than that and if I does I certainly wont be shooting trap that day. And for those of you using the Metric system, I must clarify those temps are in Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I have had trouble with Green Dot in cold weather. Around freezing. I was shooting a very lite load with it, 17.5 grains, with 1-1/8.

I called Alliant and was told that I really needed 19 grains of Green Dot for a good burn, and it would help to use a hot primer.

I shoot 18 to 18.5 with a Federal 209A and have never had any more trouble with Green Dot.

Good Luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had trouble with Green Dot in cold weather. Around freezing. I was shooting a very lite load with it, 17.5 grains, with 1-1/8.

I called Alliant and was told that I really needed 19 grains of Green Dot for a good burn, and it would help to use a hot primer.

I shoot 18 to 18.5 with a Federal 209A and have never had any more trouble with Green Dot.

Good Luck
Good to know and thank you. I shoot 21.5 grains of GD, fed 209a, 9/8oz shot, GM hulls, and fed 12s3 wads. If what they said is true, I won't have any issues this season. First year shooting this load. I've been out a few times now around 30-35 degrees and no problems yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Chedite primers an 700X powder, stay in the trunk of my car all winter. Always go boom. Gun club hulls and figure8 wads.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Have loaded either Red Dot or Clays for over 30 years . No cold weather issues related to powder. Did have "OFF" sounding shells in cold weather with DRF3 wads when they first came out . Have not strayed from CB2118-12 wads since in GM hulls with no problems to date .

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
clays has been a good year around powder with the Winchester or federal primer, titegroup I have never tried WST worked fine with 1 1/8oz loads
and the last time I used bullseye powder was back in the 70s for 7/8oz loads and even that light of load it kicked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts