Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking guidance for accessories, hats, gloves, undergarments, that seem to work extraordinarily well for cold weather shooting.

I remember reading a post awhile back (if I were smarter, I would have saved it, but then again, if I were smarter, I might not be a trapshooter :) ), where a person recommended a system of undergarments combined with a specific light jacket and pants as all anyone would ever need for shooting in cold weather.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The Under Armour heavyweight thermals definately work. They are great when used with a fleece second layer. Of course layering is the best way to dress for cold. For your feet, avoid tight constricting socks. I found one pair of Moreno Wool socks and a quality Thinsulate boot work best.

If you are going to be hiking, avoid the heavyweight Under Armour. They will have you sweating and then you'll be cold.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I am not a huge fan of Under Armour anything. I own a bunch and my opinion is it is overpriced junk.

For active wear, I prefer Lowe Alpine and Patagonia clothing. You can layer up to your hearts content and stay dry and warm no matter how hard you exert yourself. IMO, the best base layer is Patagonia's Capilene silkweight T-shirt, or crew if you prefer long sleeves and their Silkweight bottoms.

Next comes the insulation layer. Lowe Alpine's Aleutian fleece is the best around. It is light, soft, warm and comfortable. If you need more warmth go for their Polartec shirts and bottoms. Patagonia fleece is also good, but a little more bulky and scratchier.

Next comes the shell. It should be light, water resistant or proof and very, very breathable. I use Patagonia's Velocity shell designed for cross country skiing. Unfortunately, it is discontinued. However, their Travers or Houdini soft shell are quite good. Marmot makes two light shells, the DriClime and the Super Gravity jacket. Buy matching pants if you are going to be hiking through snow or it's raining.

That takes care of the active sports stuff. When shooting, I'm not really moving around much and I'm definitely not sweating, so I don't need the breathability as much. I want windproof and warm. I also want something with less bulk. Layering up with R3 or R4 fleece and a shell is warm, but bulky. I shoot best in a T-shirt, so anything bulkier than that presents a problem.

I currently use two outfits for shooting, depending on temps. For freezing and below I wear Beretta's down shooting jacket. It is windproof, incredibly warm, has pockets for everything and shooting pads. It is also light. The down compresses under the butt plate when you shoulder the gun, so you have added no more thickness than a light shooting vest. I wear a light shirt under it. I love it, but it is way to warm to wear above freezing. For those temps I wear Orvis' Foul Weather Cardigan sweater. It is a wool sweater with a windproof layer on the inside. It is heavy but thin. It's a lot warmer than you would expect. I wear a long sleeved cotton crew or a light weight Polartec crew under it, depending on temp. Even though the wool is on the outside, it does shed light rain.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Have seen heated covered shooting points for 5-Stand. There is one at Idaho Falls. Have heard that they shoot more clay targets in January and February than they do in the summer at Idaho Falls.

But have not seen covered shooting points for Trap, and what they use in Idaho Falls would not work for Trap.

Would appreciate seeing any pictures of heated covered shooting points being used on a Trap range.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Got to agree with zzt on the under armor. No better than regular thermax. The one article that everyone should have is a wool wind stop sweater. Cabelas sells an excellent one for around a hundred bucks. Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts