Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just the giverment screwing the folks that have served the country, when they are done with you they could care less what you did for them

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Mine went from $1126 to $1142.89, 60% disabled plus loss of use of one extremity. Kind of surprised me, not so much the small size of the increase but the eighty-nine cents? I thought they always rounded it off to the dollar?

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Blade, you must be -more- than 10% according to the tables. Have a look above.

Don

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I'm at 10%, Blade can we trade checks? (and since I'm retired military, they merely take the VA payment out of my retired pay and give me the tax break on it.)

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Sorry... too much Xmas egg nog. I'm at 20% but looking at the rate chart and for what I receive, they must have elevated me to 25%

blade819

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I understand first hand how tiny the raise we are getting affects all of us. To me it's just another example of how our politicians are short changing those who served their country and those serving now. The mood in America today is rapidly becoming a "Hurray for Me" generation who only look out for themselves and right now. They forget about those who sacrificed so much for them physically and financially so they can enjoy freedom. I made less than 300 bucks a month serving my country when I could have stayed home and made much more those years. We also would be in better physical condition like all who are not, VA Disability rated. I'm proud and honored to have served but I do expect my country to keep the promises made to me for my service.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amen Perazzi

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Here, then, is how it ever was. Nobody gives a damn for us after their own safety has been assured.

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

It will never change either. The politicians can only screw us because the public forgets how totally frightened they were when the guns began to fire and the lightning got called down from thew sky. We know it is going to happen and do the job anyway. Are we fools? or are we just men ( and women ) who love our way of life enough to offer to die for it if needed?

Don

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
While the VA has "sprinkled" a few benefits that I am grateful for, like putting me through college, I have always thought that essentially the VA craps on the Veterans! For example, how many thousands of Viet Nam era Veterans are still hungry and homeless? That is the most disgusting fact that as a country we face today. I assume that the Middle East Vets will soon take our places as we die off like our predecessors did from WWII. If it weren't for those charities today that take care of our younger wounded Veterans, where would they be? Being the selfish one, I was 19 stinkin years old, not even close to beginning my life's journey, and I got drafted and was sent to fight a war that I didn't know hati about. But yet, I was prepared to give my life for my country if necessary because a politician in DC said to. I returned 2 years later not even close to the same person that left. (That's me be selfish). My sacrifice(s) pale in comparison to those of my Veteran Brothers and Sisters. That's why I try to contribute everything I possible can to make their lives easier. My GOD BLESS ALL VETERANS! (I'll calm down after a scotch)

blade819
US Army 1966-68

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
blade,

Have you ever read the book "Stolen Valor" by B G Burkett? I'm wondering how many of those homeless hungry Viet Nam vets you refer to are really veterans?? There's a whole lot of phonies out there that claim to be Viet Nam veterans that aren't what they appear to be.

I was in Viet Nam about the same time as you were, US Army 1966-68---Viet Nam 1967-68. UH-1 helicopter crew chief, 800 combat hours, WIA 17 May 68, rated 60% disabled from gunshot wounds. Personally I've always felt the Veterans Administration has treated me quite well actually.

Now here's a number to ponder, I read just recently that 45% of veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are applying for VA disability benefits, -> 45% <-! Does any thinking person really believe that 45% of these guys and gals are coming home wounded or otherwise injured to such a degree as to justify disability benefits? Maybe that's where some of the processing backlog is coming from?

John C Saubak

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Old Cowboy... when in doubt I will ALLWAYS side with a Veteran. I worked with the 10th Mountain at Fort Carson and have received the vivid details of the combat scene both in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can assure you that this with the rules of engagement would have probably driven me over the PTSD edge. The Jungle was very, very different at least where I sat. I appreciate all Veterans and am a strong advocate for them. I saw the actual number of homeless Viet Nam Vets a year ago or so and it was for real and verifiable. Thank you for your service Brother and welcome home.

blade819

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yakimaman,
If your disability is combat related, they should not be reducing your retirement pay. Non combat related, they reduce your retirement. Kinda funny, Government retirement is not reduced..

Van

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other thing to consider the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have had quite a bit more time in the war zone our son spent 5 years over there

They Army just retired him because of PTSD, he didn't want to retire but they wouldn't offer re-enlistment, but did offer retirement

It is a lot different this time, after Nam I saw a lot of good troops that wanted to stay in their 20 and retire get booted when they had 16-18 years in during the RIF

Same thing they weren't offered re-enlistment, but none were offered retirement

1 - 14 of 14 Posts