Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the coating is, on the new Federal papers. It appears to be more substantial than the old wax coating. The ones that I have want to go back halfway closed after firing. To reload them, I've been using a shell iron to open the mouth all the way. Whatever the coating is, it becomes very fluid when heated on the shell iron, but when loaded, they crimp beautifully. Let me know what the coating is, ifyou know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know what the coating is, on the new Federal papers. It appears to be more substantial than the old wax coating. The ones that I have want to go back halfway closed after firing. To reload them, I've been using a shell iron to open the mouth all the way. Whatever the coating is, it becomes very fluid when heated on the shell iron, but when loaded, they crimp beautifully. Let me know what the coating is, ifyou know.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I load Fed papers all the time ( nothing else) I have 5000 and dont know what you are talking about? All my once fireds are nearly perfect on the open end? I have never used a hot iron or anything else, I just load em up and they look like factory loads.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey 27T
Where did you get the shell iron. I have some old Federal papers that are deformed that need to be reshaped but can't seem to find a shell iron to buy.

George Ware

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I recently got about 10 flats of Federal papers that smell like peaches. Pretty freakin awesome! Peaches when unfired and burnt Federal paper smell when fired.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I'm curious why you even need an iron for the papers.

I have about 15,000 paper hulls left, and I've reloaded a ton of them. I have never, ever used an iron in the reloading process. However, I only reload a once-fired hull, ONCE.

Is that the reason or necessity of the iron? I use the smooth head precrimer on both the Spolar and P/W reloaders, and it works beautifully.

WW

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Like Jim, I load them with no iron and never had a prob. I dont even change the crimp head. He is right about once though. After that they tend to get ragged on the end and lose their shape however I have loaded them 6-7 times until they burn through. I only do that when I cannot get enough hulls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.