Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid, my grandfather showed me this gun. I was always taken with it. When he passed about 15 years ago, he left it to me. I just pulled it out of the safe and my kids asked, "What is that?" "Is that a real gun?"

I answered, "That is the coat hanger gun" and "yes it is"

other than that, I have no idea what it is or where it came from.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
There were a number of these type rifles made, and some with shotgun & 22 combo barrel.

Armalite, Henry arms, Springfield, etc. The purpose was to get food for survival. They commonly are skeletonized for weight reduction, and usually fold to fit in a pack.

Some had hollow stocks to disassemble into, and so they would float.

Your particular piece may have some markings to identify it, and I'm sure someone may know it.

You might want to post it on thehighroad.org, lots of unusual gun users there.

HM

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
It looks like it might take down into 2 pieces if you did the right twist & turn (with the proper incantations, of course) and thus become more compact.

I would take it to a gun show, and ask the oldest guy you see with a table if he knows it.

I think Crossroads of the West is gone by already, I didn't come out this year.

Try the library. Also talk to the old guy at the pawn shop down on South Central, I think its near Washington St.

HM

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Found it. Garcia imported them. They also came in shotgun. Yahoo search yielded several results, including one with a reference to several pics on photobucket. One is shown here. (Damn, why couldn't I remember that, it was only 50 years ago!)

HM

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
They were not for volume shooting!

I remember our hometown "Monkey Wards" sold them on the racks in the 60's as DevilsAdvocate states.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Guns Unlimited in Omaha has one for sale. I think it's the .410 model.

$150 or so as I remember.

Hoser

---+---

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.