Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked to help coach a SCTP team with trap, skeet & sporting clays. Do any coaches within this forum have a "training plan" (i.e., work on these drills for week 1, work on these drills for week 2, etc. and/or shoot so many targets per week practice) that you would be willing to share?

If so, please email to [email protected]

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think yhou will find the Deadtarget link very useful. B.J. McDaniel, who unfortunately has passed, put a great deal of time and effort into developing the plans. They were used at the Olympic training center and at various youth training camps sanctioned by USA Shooting.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Probably your biggest challenge will be gun fit, lots of mole skin and duct tape, and the ability to fit the gun to the shooters.......Jim Butler

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
BJ's plans are a great pathway. Keep the day fun with some games at the end to finnish on a high note.
Hardest part is keeping the coaching words to less than 5 on a station. Overloading the shooter once thru the basic start up is easy to fall into. Dont be afraid to shoot a half a box at a given target to help figure it out.
Gun fit is huge. Girls ESP. After a check for eye dominance the pattern board is next stop for all shooters. showing what their choke and shot cloud look like helps them see what they are throwing at the clay, and shows you where the gun fit issues are. Check it again if something is not working.
I am trying the wenig new american in ladies and mens and it seems to be helpful.
Many kids dont fit the factory stock. If the gun is not shooting where they are looking that must be fixed.
Have Fun and keep checking in.
Getting them breaking clay is a great experience. Seeing them take off on match day is even better.
Begin every day with Safety. Esp. Muzzle Control. Too many casual barrel wavers out there. Teach the athletes the right way from the start. You will be glad you did. Treat every gun like a loaded gun.
Have FUN.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anybody used a Dryfire training system (lasers and stuff) for training a youth team?

I have been debating whether or not to get the kids raising funds to buy a system to do all-weather indoor training without having to absorb increased ammo and target costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts