Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to an affiliated organization to purchase and. My club has a C M P. Program. I will research this question with them after the holidays but I'm curious about what the program consist of to be able to purchase a Garand.

Also will I be eligible to purchase other CMP products,ie: .22 rifles , Air guns ect.

And what is the best grade for just a "shooter" and what should I expect to pay for it? Thanks, Richard

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
You must fill out the proper forms and belong to an approved club etc It is all available on their site to download. You must get the form notarized. If I were you I would get it in gear as the wait time for m1 garands can be six months depending on what you want.Supplies are drying up fast. They have Springfield armory service grades again for now. If you want a shooter get one of these. If you can afford it get the HRA service grade special. What you will get essentially a brand new rifle with the correct metal and a new cmp walnut stock. I have several, and the service grade specials that I got came with collector grade metal and all correct to boot. You can add a sticky and request things like a ww2 issue or a certain cartouche stock or m.e. or t.e. etc does not hurt to ask. They also offer a cmp special which is a grade 1 reciever with a new criterion barrel and new cmp walnut stock. They have 22s but there are better deals elsewhere. 22 ammo is available but extremely long wait times. 30-06 ammo is a good deal, and you can get 10 cans per year 98.00 per 200 rd can. Good luck
Aloha
RR

·
Registered
892 Posts
Richard,
Aloha is correct they are drying up supplies fast. If you want a collector go for the WW11 serial numbers. If you want a good shooter to compete in the CMP matches go for the CMP special grade with the new criterion barrel. If you belong to a affiliated club and have qualified with any type of weapon then you can purchase a rifle. I believe a conceal carry license will qualify also. If you live close enough to Camp Perry or the Aniston Alabama facility I would go and pick out what rifle you want. Hope this helps.
M Taylor Shotgunner50

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
CMP update. They have raised the price of Greek 30-06 ammo from 98.00 per 200 rds. to 118.00 an increase of 20%.
Aloha RR

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but don't you have to compete in one match at the CMP club to be eligible to buy?
Of course their web site, www.odcmp.com, should tell all you need to know.
It's always fun waiting in anticipation for your Garand to arrive in the mail.
dju

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ouch, I believe you can still sign up for a year of the Garand collectors association and qualify to purchase. Check on that as I have not purchased anything there for several years now. If you were active or retired law enforcement you qualified to purchase. Good luck. Jerry

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I just want a shooter, but will follow your advise and upgrade. I plan on going to Camp Perry in person to shop and for the experience . Merry Christmas to all, Richard

·
Registered
892 Posts
Richard,
2013 prices on the special grade at the CMP was 1000.00. If you get on their web site there is a multitude of affiliated clubs that will qualify you for purchase. You do not have to shoot in a cmp match to qualify. If you are prior military all you have to do is supply a copy of your DD214 which will show what weapons you qualified with. If not prior military a conceal carry license will do. The special grade is virtually a new rifle.
M Taylor shotgunner 50

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A friend drove to Camp Perry and he said the armourers were very courteous and even talked him out of spending an extra $500.00 bucks based upon why he was buying the Garand and for his specific use. He had nothing but positive things to say about the experience.

I have yet to shoot it, if it is a POS then I will post the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts