Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I'm no longer a NC shooter, it was dis heartening to find out that the following clubs are no longer hosting ATA events: Old Hickory Gun club, Rocky mount, Buncombe County, Charles E. Brown Gun Club & Fort Bragg.

I really miss the fellowship that these clubs offered & the food @ Rocky Mount & Fort Bragg was second to none.

Phil Berkowitz-will be there in June for the state shoot.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have noticed a road in Greensboro, NC named "Skeet Club Road". I'm guessing that club is long-gone also??????
M.D.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Several reasons. The Trap Shooting crowd is getting older. Yes the AIM , 4-H, and a couple of other youth programs are brining in new young shooters but, NOT at the rate the older folks are dying off or just wearing out! Sadly a lot of the new youngsters don't stay in the game why mom, dad, or grandparents are no longer footing the bill! Secondly it seems Sporting Clays seems to be the going thing with a lot shooters now, although personally I don't see why)! Too expensive for my blood and too much walking! The other thing MOST of the clubs are or were using volunteer help and a lot of folks just get tired of pulling ALL the load with no help! Most shooters want to SHOOT but have little desire to HELP! A lot just want to Shoot and Scoot, all the while complaining about how things are run! No wonder some of those doing the work just quit! When I joined the ATA in 1973 the Average book was 3 times as think as it is now!

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
dbrevit, will it be open to public or membership?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, very sad. Always enjoyed Ft. Bragg, Durham, and Charlie Brown. Central NC used to have a great local shooting community, too bad these clubs are closing.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
closing? i think theyre just not throwing ata birds anymore k-duke. thatll be the day bragg closes.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, not closing. But no longer shooting registered.
That kind of thing will make you go blind,at least that is what Mothers used to tell their sons to scare them....But seriously what club with four traps cant put on three or four registered shoots per year,that should not be a big deal.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The ATA does nothing to recruit, train, support or reward guys who put on registered shoots. Fixing that would be really easy but its hard when the ECs time is taken up going to satellite grands and having a good time.

Also, there is no rewards for shooters who shoot local shoots. You show up, shoot, post a score maybe win 20 bucks and go home.

Instead, clubs are putting their shoot management time into club and league shooting. Kingsburg, home of the California State Shoot has 400 shooter show up every week for league for an ATA shoot they are lucky to get 10 squads.

Redlands used to throw over 600,000 ATA targets per year. Now, TriCounty Trap Club that shoots there draws almost twice as many shooters. But, click the link to see all the prizes, both monthly and annually that you can win. www.tricountytrap.com

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
The former Pinehurst Gun Club is now just another Southern Pines golf course. My friends and I used to enjoy the Dogwood Open's pleasant change of weather for us Pennsylvanians.

Ed

·
Registered
170 Posts
The ATA does nothing to recruit, train, support or reward guys who put on registered shoots. Fixing that would be really easy but its hard when the ECs time is taken up going to satellite grands and having a good time.

Also, there is no rewards for shooters who shoot local shoots. You show up, shoot, post a score maybe win 20 bucks and go home.

Instead, clubs are putting their shoot management time into club and league shooting. Kingsburg, home of the California State Shoot has 400 shooter show up every week for league for an ATA shoot they are lucky to get 10 squads.

Redlands used to throw over 600,000 ATA targets per year. Now, TriCounty Trap Club that shoots there draws almost twice as many shooters. But, click the link to see all the prizes, both monthly and annually that you can win. www.tricountytrap.com
That should tell you a lot about what the majority of shooters want at those clubs. If you have no desire to travel to larger shoots to compete, then league shooting it is. Have fun with your buddies and see who has braggin rights at the end of the day. A lot like local softball or bowling leagues. Have a awards banquet at the end of the league and start all over new. I knew a lot of shooters that cared very little for registered events, but would shoot 10 rounds of trap/skeet a week just for enjoyment.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts