Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a few plots full of ladino clover on our property. Being in Western New York, as the hunting season gets later, the clover becomes less attractive. That is about the time the turnips really start getting hit.

If possible, I would like to just scatter the turnip seeds over the clover if I could. Has anyone done this with success?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Several years ago I bought clover seed from a farm supply store that sold seed by the pound. That fall I had some turnips or sugar beets growing in the clover patch. Somebody had been mixing the seeds at the store. So yes, they can be mixed. I have no idea of a proper ratio.

TJ

·
Registered
366 Posts
Are you planning to till it? I know frost seeding works for clover but I would be hesitant to just over seed it into the clover patch without working the seed into the soil

·
Registered
441 Posts
My dad scatters his turnip seeds at the edge of a field he cuts hay off of. He just tosses them in bare spots from where the tractor tires have ran. He always has turnips.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
In my seed selling years, I had cattlemen that would overseed turnips into standing corn that they would later chop for silage. The turnips would come up before the silage was chopped and as soon as the corn was gone they really took off. The cattle grazed the tops, the first frost seemed to "carmelize" them. After the tops were gone, you'd see cattle pawing and digging up the bulbs later in the fall. I would say that you could seed into standing clover, the turnip stand might not be the best where the clover is thickest, but you should get enough to attract deer late season. Go with a higher seeding rate, 3-5# / acre since you're seeding into a standing crop. They always seeded here the week after State Fair, or the third week in August. You're a little North of us, so putting them in late July to mid August wouldn't be out of the question. Good luck!!

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
And depends on the type of ground you have. I have lightly dropped a disk and scratch the top in the clover after a rain. But we have sandy ground. Try some rape seed too.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yep I’ve done it earlier august before a rain if possible. I used a lawn roller. They came up fine just don’t spread thick

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you planning to till it? I know frost seeding works for clover but I would be hesitant to just over seed it into the clover patch without working the seed into the soil
The clover is already established. So my choices are till some new spots for the turnips or scatter some seeds amidst the clover (and maybe hit it with the cultipacker)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my seed selling years, I had cattlemen that would overseed turnips into standing corn that they would later chop for silage. The turnips would come up before the silage was chopped and as soon as the corn was gone they really took off. The cattle grazed the tops, the first frost seemed to "carmelize" them. After the tops were gone, you'd see cattle pawing and digging up the bulbs later in the fall. I would say that you could seed into standing clover, the turnip stand might not be the best where the clover is thickest, but you should get enough to attract deer late season. Go with a higher seeding rate, 3-5# / acre since you're seeding into a standing crop. They always seeded here the week after State Fair, or the third week in August. You're a little North of us, so putting them in late July to mid August wouldn't be out of the question. Good luck!!
You would think the deer up here have shovels they way they dig up the turnips. The cold weather really brings out the sugars in the turnips.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Several years ago I bought clover seed from a farm supply store that sold seed by the pound. That fall I had some turnips or sugar beets growing in the clover patch. Somebody had been mixing the seeds at the store. So yes, they can be mixed. I have no idea of a proper ratio.

TJ
This is how we found the deer liked the turnips more late season. Out of the clover came the turnips. So I was hoping I could spread some seed over the existing clover to get the same effect each year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad scatters his turnip seeds at the edge of a field he cuts hay off of. He just tosses them in bare spots from where the tractor tires have ran. He always has turnips.
This makes me think of all the bare spots around that I can throw some seed! Thank you

Reactions: 460Ford

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is one of our food plots (around 1.0 acre). Nice to finally see some green around here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Obviously as you know soil to seed contact is important for seed germination. Seed is cheap throw some out there I’m sure some will grow, I’ve had success doing that in the past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts