Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my dad wanted me to empty his gun hiding spot and bring them to my house to be stored until the end of time. As I was going through them verifying they where unloaded and wiping them down with oil I came to a Remington 11 48 with a spent round stuck in it. I disassembled the gun and drove the spent shell out. Its was just low brass game load. I then cleaned and oiled it up and reassembled it. I worked the action back and forth inserted a shell (Fed. Dove and Target Load) and then ejected the shell then I put one in the magazine and chambered it and a second to the magazine. Every thing seems to be working properly so I proceeded to point in a safe direction and pull the trigger. The bang was intense the side of my face felt like I just got sucker punched but no blood or any thing. The shell was like mashed in the chamber area totally blown to pieces the ejector bolt was now missing from the bolt know where to be found. (Sorry no pics) I was a little shook up and didn't think about it at the time. The only thing that I can think of is that as the shell went off and the bolt came back letting the shell blow out the side of the chamber. The side of my face is still a little sore this morning.
I'm going to leave the 11 48 out for the thieves to steal as a decoy so they don't look for the good guns.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Glad you were (relatively) un-hurt.

Kinda sounds like the bolt stop may have been worn down so it would not hold it in battery. Gun fires and bolt blows back when it shouldn't... Could be one of the recoil springs being too weak?

If I recall correctly the model 11 had an adjustment ring for light -vs- heavy loads, the 11-48 did not (self adjusting?).

Reactions: FlynLiver

·
Registered
62 Posts
Earlier this year, I took my Remington Model 11 to the trap range. While still on station 1 of my first round, I shot and reloaded. When I pressed the button the action slammed shut as usual. But this time, THE SHELL FIRED!! Fortunately, the barrel was pointed down field and the shot dug a hole in the ground.

My gunsmith said the firing pin spring was “collapsed.” He replaced it and fired 75 more shells through it without incident. Then he declared it safe to shoot.

This scared me to death. It emphasizes how important it is to ALWAYS FOLLOW THE SAFETY RULES. Take nothing for granted.

I imagine many of you had similar experiences. But this one made a real impression on me.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Sorry but generally guns don't fire unless you pull the trigger. Looking back would you do the same thing again?
Empty guns are the only ones that kill people in accidentally shootings.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Scary stuff..friend of mine has a routine that is if a gun is questionable it gets rolled up in a piece or carpet with a string on the trigger..pull from a safe distance..glad you are ok

·
Registered
62 Posts
Slickhead, good point. However, the only way I can close the action on that gun is to depress the button with my right thumb and I am right handed. That means my fingers could not have been close to the trigger. I nevertheless asked my puller how it happened, and he said it fired when the action closed.

Nevertheless, I still have the question you asked.

Thanks for the comment.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Sorry but generally guns don't fire unless you pull the trigger.
I had a sear snap on an L C Smith SBT gun - she fired when closed... finger was no where near the trigger.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
So my dad wanted me to empty his gun hiding spot and bring them to my house to be stored until the end of time. As I was going through them verifying they where unloaded and wiping them down with oil I came to a Remington 11 48 with a spent round stuck in it. I disassembled the gun and drove the spent shell out. Its was just low brass game load. I then cleaned and oiled it up and reassembled it. I worked the action back and forth inserted a shell (Fed. Dove and Target Load) and then ejected the shell then I put one in the magazine and chambered it and a second to the magazine. Every thing seems to be working properly so I proceeded to point in a safe direction and pull the trigger. The bang was intense the side of my face felt like I just got sucker punched but no blood or any thing. The shell was like mashed in the chamber area totally blown to pieces the ejector bolt was now missing from the bolt know where to be found. (Sorry no pics) I was a little shook up and didn't think about it at the time. The only thing that I can think of is that as the shell went off and the bolt came back letting the shell blow out the side of the chamber. The side of my face is still a little sore this morning.
I'm going to leave the 11 48 out for the thieves to steal as a decoy so they don't look for the good guns.
I could take a look at it for you, see if it's worth salvaging.

I just fixed a Win 97 for my wife's uncle that was firing on closing. The trigger spring was bent, and worn. Just shot a round of trap with it Thursday, functioned perfectly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
First off glad you're OK and thanks for reminding us that sometimes you can be surprised when handling a gun. I think The Rattler's comments about "ALWAYS FOLLOW THE SAFETY RULES" are pretty important.

A few years ago I had a problem with one gun when I was shooting that surprised me. I was about on my 2nd or 3rd station during practice when out of the blue I closed the action and it went off. My finger was off the trigger. I was glad that I always keep it safe and it just shot safely down the field. But it was a real wake-up call for me to always be ready for the unexpected. I just excused myself and put it away in the truck and sent it directly to a gunsmith. I think it was a broken spring but not entirely sure.

Glad you pointed in a safe direction and no one was hurt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad you’re ok. Had an accidental discharge happen with my hunting rifle. Scared the living daylights out of me when I took the safety off and it went bang. Remington recalled the rifles the following year for the trigger replacement.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
FlynLiver, you have to have a horseshoe up your butt.

First, you're crushing just about every target coming out of the traps and now you walk away from a mishap like this!!! You are a luck man and I'm glad to hear that you're OK.

Now, go out and buy a lottery ticket......and be safe.

Jimmy Bowen

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Scary, glad you are O.K. My brother had a Remington model 11 do a similar thing. He was downstairs in the man cave and fired a round into the ceiling when cycling shells through it. Wife was upstairs in the kitchen. No one was hurt with the discharge but I am not so sure about the relationship.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could take a look at it for you, see if it's worth salvaging.

I just fixed a Win 97 for my wife's uncle that was firing on closing. The trigger spring was bent, and worn. Just shot a round of trap with it Thursday, functioned perfectly.
Sure thing its a nice gun for its age.
I'm bringing up a roofing magnet to try to find the bolt handle in the yard.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
uh, this wasn't an accidental discharge or a negligent discharge. He intentionally pulled the trigger with the gun loaded to verify that it functioned normally, and it did not. His description made it sound like he was in his house looking at guns, but "then I put one in the magazine and chambered it and a second to the magazine. Every thing seems to be working properly so I proceeded to point in a safe direction and pull the trigger." I am guessing he was somewhere safe to discharge a firearm when he did it.

In my opinion, if the gun is unsafe, repair it or destroy it. Leaving it laying around will result in someone else having the same thing happen because they don't know. Maybe your son when your time comes.

Reactions: Pull & Mark

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
uh, this wasn't an accidental discharge or a negligent discharge. He intentionally pulled the trigger with the gun loaded to verify that it functioned normally, and it did not. His description made it sound like he was in his house looking at guns, but "then I put one in the magazine and chambered it and a second to the magazine. Every thing seems to be working properly so I proceeded to point in a safe direction and pull the trigger." I am guessing he was somewhere safe to discharge a firearm when he did it.

In my opinion, if the gun is unsafe, repair it or destroy it. Leaving it laying around will result in someone else having the same thing happen because they don't know. Maybe your son when your time comes.
Everything was done outside. Enthropy said he would look at it. might be a easy fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts