Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new shooter I would like to attend a clinic this season hosted by what seems to be the main three . NR, PK, HC .I would like to receive instruction before I create more bad habits than I already have. I shoot one eyed currently to achieve my best scores , with less than a year in the sport I would like to hear various comments from those have already taken advantage of such programs as to what direction to move as a novice. I realize all of the above are top notch and all would be great choices but as instructors differ one may be better suited for entry level.

Joe

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If any of my Grandchildren have a serious interest in shooting trap, I will pay for them to take Nora's clinic. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill I am leaning in that direction but a qualifier I am new to the sport but also have a grandchild

Joe

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have taken clinics from 5 different pro.s. I wish I would have taken clinics in my first years of shooting, before getting set in my style. I got something out of each clinic. Every one of the clinics helped one of the games some. Depending on whom you select, they may train you to shoot like them, others will have you work on improving your own style. Nora is the only one that is a one eyed shooter, and probably the only AAA/AAA/27 doing so. I shot about 6 or 7 years one eyed until I switched to having both eyes open, you see the bird better and quicker. If you go that direction, expect a dip in scores until you start to improve. Take a clinic, then shoot as much is possible to engrain what you have learned. While costly, you will learn more for your money than twice the same $$$ shooting practice.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've taken clinics from three different instructors. If you want one who will try to make the most of what you have to work with, I'd suggest Kiner. Some of the others will teach you how they do it. If you think that you have what it takes, in terms of eyesight, coordination, mental strength, to shoot like they do, then one of them might be good. Kiner is also good at determining eye issues if you have any.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nora Ross is a super instructor. I'm having her come back to the Spokane are for the 3rd time..May 6th and 7th of 2014. Several shooters have attended the clinic twice and thought that is was worth the money.
Several of the attendee's got yardage after the clinic.
A aa/27 yard shooter told me that a one eyed lady shooter could not help him.
He took the clinic and is now a Nora Ross believer.
Have a great new year.
John O.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Joe, I think Nora's clinic is great for new shooters, that is why I put the comment in about the Grandkids. She does a great job for old shooters as well. She is also a one eyed shooter. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
You can watch the DVD by HC and PK and get a pretty good idea if their clinic will help you or not. If you are not convinced about the one eye two eye decision maybe the link above will give a little information. Nora is the obvious choice if you are a one eyed shooter.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Phil has never comfirmed that's he's a one eyed shooter, but he does have a fabricated sight blinder blade on the end of his barrel and I think a small piece of tape on his glasses, which tells me he's not a two eyed shooter 100% of the time.

I have Kiner's video which worth every penny especially if you're a one eyed shooter. Phil has spent a considerble amount of time studying off eye shooters and has proven to be a great help to this group including me.

I also took Phil's clinic after reviewing his video several times to confirm or dispel my approach to trap shooting; like the video it was money well spent and I'm cosidering taking another as I think it's a great value.

I've not taken Nora's clinic, but would likely attend hers if it came to SoCal as she's highly rated instructor.

Surfer

·
Premium Member
18,864 Posts
I took Nora's clinic at El Reno several years ago, and it helped me. I am a one eyed shooter. She is a class act.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I've taken several clinics. For your first clinic I would highly recommend Phil Kiner. It will be a two day clinic to go over the basics and some advanced stuff in the classroom and lots of shooting. Phil is quite adept at spotting your problems and helping you solve them. He video tapes the shooting and goes over all the video in the classroom between shoots. I will tell you I learned as much from watching the tapes of the others shooting as I did from watching my own.

As has been mentioned above, he will help you a lot with your 1-eyed or 2-eyed shooting. Personally, if after Phil diagnoses you he does not find you to be cross dominant or no dominant, I'd try the 2-eyed approach and listen to his tips.

I know everyone gets something different from a clinic, but Phil helped me a lot. I also took a 1-day refresher course with him and it helped. Phil is a contributor to these threads and on two occasions he called me to talk about problems I was having, because he read about them in some of my posts. That's above and beyond in my book.

I have observed Nora's clinic, but not participated. I have taken Harlan's 2-day clinic and learned a lot about mental conditioning and preparation for competition, and how to listen to your body to determine when was the best time to shoot. He helped me a lot in doubles. I'd not discourage you from Harlan's clinic, but I still recommend you take Phil's first. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've taken both Leo and Harlan's clinics. I was still shooting with one eye back when I attended one of Leo's first classes back in 2004. I got a lot of his class, which was just one day. The next year I was shooting A/AA singles and had made it back to the 23.5. I was doing well, but felt limited by equipment, the closing of the left eye, and my mental game.
2006 was my last year of dedicated competition, as I changed jobs in 2007 and felt at the time that I couldn't juggle both the job and shooting as well as I wanted too.
This past year, I decided I needed to stop and start smelling the gun powder again. Life is passing by too quickly and I needed to focus on one thing, rather than trying to be decent at a lot of other hobbies.

I attended Harlan's clinic this past summer and can tell you the man gets through a lot in two days. I wanted to make the switch to two eyes, and figured after my time off, it would be now or never.

As mentioned, Harlan teaches his style of shooting, which makes a lot of sense. If you are planning on shooting a multiple day tournament like the Grand or State Shoot, you are going to be pretty worn out by the end, mentally and physically. As zzt mentioned, Harlan introduces one thing that I believe a lot of shooters miss and that is the conditioning and preparation that is needed to shoot into the upper levels. Harlan will tell you he isn't the best shot out there, but I believe he is probably one of if not thee best planner in trapshooting at the moment. Harlan has thoroughly studied the game to make the most of it to do as little as possible, or 'quiet down' as he calls it.

I'm still working on applying what I've learned, as well as trying to not get discouraged for not breaking 100's right off of the bat. I have a long way to go yet.

I'm amazed at how accommodating top shooters are to help. You just have to ask yourself, what kind of tea cup are you?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My club is having a Harlin clinic in the spring and one of the reasons I planned not attending was I wanted instructions on basics which I am just establishing. I am not ready for a multiple day tournament I am still trying for my first 50 straight. Is his clinic geared for more advanced shooters most of the members attending are quite accomplished ? I am digesting all the information everyone is giving to make a proper decesion. I have Phil Kiners video which I watch often and I am leaning toward Phil or Nora if they are coming to my area neither has their 2014 posted yet.

Joe

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
If your gun doesn't have an adjustable comb--save your time---if it doesn't fit---you can't hit.

I've been to various clinics, where shooters show up with totally fixed guns---they are at a big disadvantage.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I shoot a citori plus adj. comb, adj rib, adj. recoil pad for length of pull and shoulder angle no up and down

Joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
I highly recommend Nora's clinic, she is an excellent shooter herself but a far better instructor. I decided to take her clinic after 25 years of shooting and felt I benefited from it enough that 2 years later I took a private lesson with her as a refresher. If I had taken a clinic the year I started it would have saved me the 15 or so years of trying to figure it out on my own not to mention many thousands of dollars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts