Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to remove the collet re-sizer from my MEC 9000G mounted on an Auto Mate II.

I am unable to raise the column spring and carrier, as required, in order to remove the collet re-sizer due to the strong compression of the column spring.

I called the MEC people and was advised that the column spring on my re-loader has a stronger spring compression due to the fact that it is mounted on the Auto Mate II. In fact, when they work on a re-loader mounted on a hydraulic or electric motor, for maintenance purposes, they will ask a second technician for assistance in order to raise the spring and retain the spring and carrier with the column spring lifter.

Well, there's only me, in the garage, to lift the column spring.

Anyone experiencing this problem and if so, how did you resolve it, without another person to assist, in lifting the column spring and carrier?

Thanks,

Al P

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for your response and inquiry.

In order to remove the collet, the column and shell carrier must be raised.

The collet cannot be raised out of its position unless the shell carrier is raised hight enough for the collet to be raised up and out of its position.

Thanks again,

Al P

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that the shell carrier must be raised because the collet will not pass through the shell carrier in order to be raised and removed from the reloader.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
MEC sells a tool to raise and lock the column in the up position. It is a part of their maintenance kit. I used a nail and had a friend compress the spring before I purchased the kit. It is not really that difficut...

Doc

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Al,

I have the tool also, but as Doc said above you don't really need one, and It's really not that difficult.

Good luck.

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have done both a Hyd. & Reg. 9000 . The tool is worth the money when I was doing the Hyd. model. Much stronger spring. Unless MEC changed springs, my Hyd. is much older machine than the reg. model.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I sacrificed a good screwdriver and made a hook for the main spring. It's bent at about 45 degrees or slightly more. The secret is having a large enough grip on the hook to hang on to and the right size hex to slip into the column hole quickly.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah but PULL the link clip, don't pry it !

You can also put an edge across the open link mouth and push it half off the pin, you can then pull it the rest of the way

regards

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ray. I tried the column spring lifter in the maintenance kit and was not successful in lifting the column spring and shell carrier high enough to insert the spring lifter center insert into the hole in the column.

ImpalaBob. What is this wrap you are referring to? Do you have a picture or illustration of it and how to use it?

Hey, appreciate the input, guys.

Thanks,

Al P

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a ball joint splitter that the gap just fits the column and the taper and handle makes compressing the spring easy. Don't know if auto parts stores still carry them. D Winter

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Strong spring needs strong hands and if you do it by yourself do it in stages. Raise the spring an amount and insert the keeper pin ( allen wrench, big nail, phillips screwdricer, whatever ) through the spring and the hole in the shaft. Get a new grip on the spring and raise it a bit more, repeat until your spring is high enough for you. Then pull the shell plate retaining roll pin. Then raise the shell plate off the bearing and see if it is high enough to let your collet clear. If not grab the spring and raise it up another coil or two. It isn't 'hard' but it isn't easy either. It is best to raise the spring while the loader is bolted ( screwed ) down just to make things a little simpler. Don't lose the index ball and spring on the backside of the column.

Good luck.

Don T

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Take a trip to the Shotgunworld.com site and look under the reloading forum. Pictures galore and comments and tips from a bunch of folks (curlynohair and others). When you have done it once it will no longer be a problem. As someone said.. do not loose the indexing ball...... Larry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To D. Winter, Don T., and Larry.

Thanks for the additional input.

Will try all recommendations.

Thanks again,

Al P

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Al... I have been reloading on a 9000H for more years than I can remember. In all those years, I have never had my collet out, and that is with over 300,000 reloads on it. I keep the collet well lubed with Permatex Lubriplate and about every six months or so, I take a dental pick to the collet slots to make sure there is no shot or debris in them and then brush out the inside of the collet with an old toothbrush. I finish it up by blowing it out with compressed air, relube it, and I'm back in business.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To Dan Thome and Bernie K:

Thanks for the info.

Will try both ways of cleaning the collet.

Thanks again,

Al P

·
Registered
234 Posts
When you are raising the spring make sure that you remove the ball in back which is held down by a brass finger that attaches to the riser bar with the spring, make sure that you don't bend the brass finger, it will not straighten out, it will break.

Make sure that you put it back in place with the ball on the turn station.

When tightening the screw on the collet, it has a sweet spot, for your down stroke, I just went thru this , but I had to replace a new collet. MEC will walk you thru how to set the whole thing.

Use anti seize on the collet before you install, messy but works great for a long time until you fill it up with loose powder and have to clean it out again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts