Trapshooters Forum banner

Cleaning out Ported Barrel Holes ?

3515 Views 25 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  MRS. KS-OKIE
I am looking for the quickest and most efficient way & means to clean out the ported holes in my Browning barrels ?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
At some point, I bought a few thousand pipe cleaners for this same purpose, but center fire guns. They’re effective and will sop up some Butches or Hoppes and they do a good job. Cheap and easy. @legman has a good idea there - torch tip cleaners are a bit more stout than the generic pipe cleaners and don’t fold up on you while doing your work. They do cost slightly more, but if you have a supply house nearby, it’s an excellent option. Good luck!

· Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I bought some of the port cleaners from Brownells. They will really clean the ports but is looked like I was also taking the blueing out of the ports also. I have tried pipe cleaners, they will work without damage to the ports. I no longer clean them as it appears they kind of clean themselves out the next time I shoot the shotgun. (I clean my shotguns after every outing. I think most of what is in the ports is from cleaning the barrel and it shoots out after the first shot. Pic attached. Regards, Bob
Font Gas Drink Electric blue Cylinder

· Registered
13,537 Posts
I've never cleaned mine. Maybe if I get really, really, really, bored.................Naw, not even then.
Agreed!!! I've never not once cleaned the ports on either my 525 or on my BT-100 barrels!!! I just run a tico-tool down the barrel after I get home from shooting. I've never needed to clean my ports. I do wipe down the outside of my barrels with Rem-oil after shooting every time as well. My porting stays pretty darn clean all by themselves. Your mileage may vary??? break em all Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.