Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So don’t string me up I did search but info is so fragmented. This is how I searched above !!
What are some of your favorite cleaning kit/ supplies ? Looking for 12/20 ga.
Sorry if I’m being redundant.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ballistol, Hoppe's No. 9, Hoppe's gun grease, cleaning patches I've cut from old underwear and worn-out cotton T-shirts, Q-Tips, toothpicks, etc. I have what seems like dozens of brushes for various gauges/calibers and am never at a loss in that department.

My brother sprays WD-40 on his guns and I've seen other people do it, including at registered shoots. That stuff has a lot of uses, but I'll never put a drop of it on any firearm I own.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I started with the Hoppes kit.

If I had to do it again. I would just buy the cleaning rod. Tornado Brush, WD-40 as solvent, Q Max Blu for lubing and protection. paper towels torn into fourths, folded twice to make wads to push through.

I don't like the loop tip, I found an aluminum one that is almost the size of the 12 ga bore. I has a slot for special patches and a blunt tip. Perfect to push the paper towel wads through. I only use the special patch to put a film of Q Max if the gun is not to be used for a while.

Jason

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you recommend for a rod ? One piece or two ? Material ?
I have 35 inch barrels including extended chokes.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Mine are 3 pieces aluminum since they came from the Hoppes kit. They are assembled and never taken apart. The tip that I was talking about above is 3 inches long. Rod is almost 33 inches so it works for me. Tornado brush barely makes it to the end of my 34 inch unsingle with 3/4 inch choke.

If you are going to buy separately get one that is one piece and 36 inches long. Because I am not sure if the tip that I have is still made. I like the thick aluminum, but not sure if you can find one that is 36 inches long in aluminum. Go with Stainless if you can.
I like Hoppes because the Tornado brush fit. I think Outers uses a different thread.

Jason

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
What do you recommend for a rod ? One piece or two ? Material ?
I have 35 inch barrels including extended chokes.
I have a Dewey and a Tipton and prefer the Tipton Deluxe Cleaning Rod as it is Coated with carbon fiber and has held up much better than the Dewey. Both are 1 piece rods. I believe the Tipton shotgun rod comes in varying lengths and, of course, accommodates multiple jags and brushes of choice. As for Dewey, I do like their choke tube cleaning tool following a good tube soak.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I also use the Tipton Deluxe Cleaning Rod and the TCS shotgun barrel patch jag. For solvent I use the TCS tactical cleaning solvent and once in a while bore cleaning paste (for the chokes). All available fron ShopTek, Inc., a supporting vendor on this site. Wow, I sound like a commercial, but I really like these products.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The BEST KIT doesn't exist. I have several rods from several kits some rods I made my self for a scrubber rod, one of my old hoppes rod from my grandfather is a patch rod. I'm OCD about things so yes I take pride in cleaning my gun. Now if I were to make a "kit" to have on hand it'd be 2 different rods some old flannels, scissors, a long wide flathead screwdriver to remove the stock and a gallon of hoppes and some oil and q-tips. But the perfect "kit" doesn't exist, in my opinion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One other thing that may not be a necessity, but is something I use for certain things, is an air compressor with an air blower tip.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
as far as a rod, check with Tom Larkin when you see him at a shoot. Hes selling a rod similar to one Frenchy Freigon made. Its in 4 pieces that screw together and has a bar to step on. Step on the rod upright in front of you and push the barrel up and down. With a 10 gage brush it gets the bore clean quick. The one I bought from Frenchy is pretty old and still going strong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been looking for a kit to keep in my range bag that is just for 12 gauge and not one of the do all, fit all kits and they are hard to find. I have everything I need at home, but was hoping to find one just for the range.

I really just need a good quality rod that is 3 sections and brushes along with a patch jig. I have found a kit that's close to what I want made by Bisley, but they are pricey. I like the fact the rods are made of wood and come in just the gauge you need with a pouch to hold it all.

My thought was having a rod with me would give me something to clear an obstruction if needed while at a shoot and still be able to clean the barrels at the end of day before putting in the case.

I only shoot factory loads, so the chance of a squib is remote and a bore snake may be a better choice for my needs.

I tend to over think things at times!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts