Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im new to shotguns and just picked upna Beretta 682 gold e trap combo. Im looking for suggestions on what i should have for cleaning tools/supplies. Also where are the key places to keep greased or oiled?

Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it turns or rotates "grease it" if it slides "oil it. A good stiff cleaning rod with brush , patches a set of small brass brushes, rem oil wipes, hoppes cleaner, tetra gun lube grease, gun oil. That is what I use. OH and some cans of compressed air to blow out the little particles around the ejectors and in the receiver area following a cleaning.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Check out the K video that was just posted. It does a pretty good job of answering your questions. Welcome and nice gun, by the way!
John

·
Registered
455 Posts
If your new shotgun came with an operator manual - read it and know it. It will explain cleaning points and, perhaps, suggest the use of oils and grease for certain areas.

As far as tools, I like a nice gun rest to cradle the gun with the action open. Additionally, I buy thousands of patches for cleaning (bulk from fleabay). I shoot a fair amount in both shotguns and handguns so I always like to have plenty on hand. Always have a good gun oil and grease on hand. I also buy pipe cleaning rods to clean porting. Since I have fat fingers, I also use a plastic pick set to clean hard to reach areas. YMMV.

Cheers, Jet

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Always remove old grease and oil and replace with new lube every day you use the gun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like Hoppes #9 for cleaning, Breakfree CLP for lubrication, and then use compressed air to blow out the action. A small amount of oil will remain where parts touch and the excess is gone. As was stated earlier, a good grease on rotating parts with oil for sliding surfaces is best.

Who doesn't like the smell of Hoppes #9?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I like the chamber brush that fits in a drill bit. It makes cleaning the forcing cones very easy.
I use paper towel for patches, full size sheet torn into 4ths, then folded twice. I just stuff it in the barrel and push it right through. If your single barrel is 34 inches long you may need a blunt jag, the 3 piece shotgun cleaning rod is a little short. I can't remember the name of the aluminum blunt tip that I have. It is about 3 inches long with a slot in the middle. It is suppose to use a special patch that had slits part way up the middle of the patch. Another option is to rap the paper towel quarter around the bristle brush.

I use WD-40 as a bore solvent. I like the smell of Hoppe's #9 but I am fugal. Note the use of paper towels instead of cotton patches. Made the switch when I started shooting Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays Saturday and Sunday every weekend.

Jason

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok im new to shotguns and just picked upna Beretta 682 gold e trap combo. Im looking for suggestions on what i should have for cleaning tools/supplies. Also where are the key places to keep greased or oiled?

Thanks
I use rem. oil on the blueimg never have a rust problem. Also works as a bore cleaner.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
After cleaning, very important to lube the hinge pin area, etc to keep metal from galling. Will also ease operation of your shotgun.
Has a Man show up at the Ike’s Club to shoot his new O/U and in one round he was having problems opening it. Broke it apart and was galling badly, he did not know it was to be greased. Brand new gun I felt sorry for him as he had just picked it up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like the hinge grease and oil solvent made by Klenzoil and it smells good. The grease is good for choke tubes also.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Has a Man show up at the Ike’s Club to shoot his new O/U and in one round he was having problems opening it. Broke it apart and was galling badly, he did not know it was to be greased. Brand new gun I felt sorry for him as he had just picked it up.
How does that happen? I'm not questioning the validity of your post but honestly, who doesn't know this? I know they're out there but sometimes something like this comes along and just makes me shake my head.

I would recommend Lucas Oil Red N Tacky 2. This stuff has anti-seize in it with a drip point of over 500* so it won't break down during heavy shooting and will keep your chokes tight. As with all lube/grease, a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
He bought it on Gunbroker.com and it was shipped to a local FFL who just did the registration paper work for him and offered him no advice about his purchase. It had a stainless looking receiver, I can’t not even remember what brand it was as it was a few years ago.
Unfortunately I was the one who told him it needed grease. He and His Friend did not know this.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
My wife, unfortunately :(
Wasn't long ago, we were in some little fancy shop (I dunno what it was called, all I knew was they didn't sell guns so I was in a hurry to leave) and she was hoofing candles. She held one up and asked what I thought so here's how it went...
Her: "whatchya think about this one?"
Me: "smells like a headache."
Her: With a chuckle..."so you find one you like"
Me: "I don't do candles, if it were just me I'd spill some Hoppes and call it good"
Her: laughing out loud..."you are SUCH a guy!"

Hey...it is what it is!

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks
Run the bore-snake though your barrel(s) at the end of each day of shooting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts