Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....I have a couple of nice old guns with high grade wood and what at one time was a high grade finish. After years of use the finish is now dull...not cracked of heavily scratched...any way to bring the finish back to life without refinishing? Ideas appreciated.....Thanks, WC

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Murphy's to clean the wood. A light coat of a good penetrating stain such as Minwax will cover some imperfections. Automobile wax or a light coat of an oil finish will help a lot.

Pat Ireland

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
If you eventually decide to remove theo old finish, Oxalic Acid is something you can buy at the drug store and is mixed with water. Cheap and easy to use. It is designed to bleach the wood to its natural colors.

This removes stains, etc, and brightens back up the wood.

It stinks, when being used, however.

WW

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and Thanks for the ideas...here is what I did and it worked GREAT....remove stock and wash with a strong very warm mixture of Murphys and water...I used a kitchen sponge with a smoothe and a rough side...don't try to be too gentle, really give it a good wet soapy wash...then rinse and dry....you will not believe what comes off. I then lightly sanded with very fine paper and steel wool, applied very light coats of Tru Oil, don't coat checkering until last coat, and lightly sanded between coats..finish up with a very light coat also on checkering....turns out really nice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What I have found to best clean/refreshen furniture grade wood is a solution made of equal parts of boiled linseed oil, turpentine and vinegar. The mixture is applied with a light scrubbing using 0000 steel wool and removed with a clean cloth, followed with coat of pure carnuba wax.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.