Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does Clays meter better than 700X or about the same?
My experience is that Clays seemed to meter better than 700X. This was done with a MEC 9000 and later with a Dillon SL900 press. Clays powder drops were very consistent - +/- .1 gr. 700X powder drops seemed to be more like +/- .3 gr.

Both powders work well.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have no problems with Clays, Claydot, or Reddot, but I had wildly inconsistent with 700x on a Mec 9000. I tried everything that was suggested, just got tried of trying to figure it out. I traded some 700x, and ask that reloader to let me know how he made out, he measured thirty drops, all were perfect with the 700x, so I don't get what my problem was.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I started using 700X this year because Red Dot got expensive along with the availability issues with Clays and Promo. I have a Mec grabber and I have had great luck with the drops being consistent. I use the grey baffle that comes with the universal charge bar and that bar itself. I was worried about 700X giving inconsistent drops but that has not been the case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with marbax. Had the same experience on my MEC 9000. Tried powder baffle, dryer sheet, keeping the powder bin full. I got to the point of weighing every powder drop...was not worth it. Clays works great, its the cleanest burning powder I ever used.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had to go to 700X because I couldn't get Green Dot. Seems fine and my drops are consistent. My problem is I get a lot of spill. My loading table has flakes next to loader from just a few boxes. Anyone else have the issue?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Never had problems with 700X very consistent, used it for many-many years until I couldn't get it (fire\explosion or something). Switched to RD\Promo, happy with them. Only machines I've used\had are DL\Pacific\Hornady\Bair (all the same) so can't comment on other brands.

plake----Yes I had the same experience, changing the washer type seals under the bar and cured that issue. Ross Puls

1 - 9 of 9 Posts