Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any data for using Claydot powder for handgun loads. Does anyone have a source for information? There are recipes published using Hodgdon Clays, I wonder if they are interchangeable for handgun? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
CD is supposed to be identical to Clays, other than bulk. I wound up with a different bushing.

Use a scale.

And shoot the loads out of a Contender first, LOL.

HM

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
3.8 C.D in 9mm with 115 HAP jhp in a S.A. 1911 does 1080 fps, accurate @ 50 yds.

Use Clays data in .45 acp, start low end. I use 3.4 for 200 swc.

I've shot great revolver scores (ppc) with 2.2/2.5 c.d. And 148 gr hbwc.

Look around for clays data, your in good shape..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I am using Clay Dot in several pistol loads right now for the same reasons you are considering it - I can't get Clays.

Also like you, I couldn't find any loading data so I just used my favorite loadings using CLAYS data. I tend to load mid vel target ammo in .38 special and .45 acp and as far as I can tell the Clay dot performs just like CLAYS. But I will be the first to admit that I have no way of actually measuring chamber pressure or other key parameters so if you do as I am doing you will be assuming all the risks just like I am.

FWIW, I have loaded and fired several thousand of such rounds without incident or any indications that there may be a pressure problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts