Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load mostly 1oz. Loads in either sts,nitro or AA hulls is there much of a difference between claybuster and down range brand. 1 oz pink and Remington tg 12 1oz.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My understanding of the issue is the quality of the material used by both companies. Downrange uses a higher silicon content in their wads and as a result you'll have less crud in your barrel and a few more FPS. I use both but prefer DR, CB if DR isn't available.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
My understanding of the issue is the quality of the material used by both companies. Downrange uses a higher silicon content in their wads and as a result you'll have less crud in your barrel and a few more FPS. I use both but prefer DR, CB if DR isn't available.
Silicon? Possibly Reclaimed vs Virgin is the answer that your looking for,
MG

·
Registered
402 Posts
1oz. is my favorite load for most of my shooting. One small difference I've noticed is most of the CB wads have shallow vent lines on the shot cup to release air when loading. The DR seems to have a smooth surface. When I am using a progressive loader I get an occasional load where the wad seems to pop up a bit after seating. The shot is then quite close to the mouth of the case,even to the point of spilling a few shot as the shellplate turns. It is easy enough to press the shot down with my finger,it just adds a step to the process. After that both brands work better than I do on targets.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Yes, there are differences. First, the TGT is a Rem Fig. 8 style wad and the pink DRA12 is a AA style wad. The AA-style wads typically produce higher pressures than the Fig. 8s (I think it might have something to do with the design of the over-powder cups).

Second, and more importantly, the DRA12 pink wad is a 1 oz version of their DRA12 bronze wad. Both the pink and bronze DRA12s have a bit shorter crush section than the factory AA wads they are based on. This shorter crush section is designed specifically for use in AAHS hulls using bulky powders such as Clays and Red Dot. The AAHS hull design will give a higher stack height using a standard wad and bulky powders, resulting in problems such as buckled case sides and tented crimps. The shorter crush section of the DRA12 wads brings the stack height down to normal and alleviates reloading issues caused by a stack height that is too tall.

If you are going to comingle Win AAHS and Rem hulls in your reloading practice, I suggest you go with the DRA12 pink. You might get slightly dished crimps on the Rem hulls but the AAHS will not be FUBAR.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think this is sort of like asking which is better, 7 1/2 or 8's. It boils down to what you like best and what makes the best reloads for the components and hulls that you use. I go with Claybuster because they are what is available here and also because I had a case of Downrange 28 gauge wads that did not like temperatures below about 32 degrees and after trying to contact Kevin at Downrange with very polite emails and phone calls explaining what I had going on I never heard back from him. I used the wads up during the summer time and that was the last time I purchased Downrange products. I still have some 12 gauge wads that I have as I used to buy lots of his stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I think this is sort of like asking which is better, 7 1/2 or 8's. It boils down to what you like best and what makes the best reloads for the components and hulls that you use. I go with Claybuster because they are what is available here and also because I had a case of Downrange 28 gauge wads that did not like temperatures below about 32 degrees and after trying to contact Kevin at Downrange with very polite emails and phone calls explaining what I had going on I never heard back from him. I used the wads up during the summer time and that was the last time I purchased Downrange products. I still have some 12 gauge wads that I have as I used to buy lots of his stuff.
Was there something you wanted him to do about it?
Did you want a refund?
Or did you want him to replace them with more of the same wad?
Or perhaps you were going to offer him some wad design advice?
Are you certain the problem was the wad?
Could it have been the powder or the primer you were using?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Was there something you wanted him to do about it?
Did you want a refund?
Or did you want him to replace
twith more of the same wad?
Or perhaps you were going to offer him some wad design advice?
Are you certain the problem was the wad?
Could it have been the powder or the primer you were using?
Well nebs, I was going to ask if he had any advice for me. I was using 13 grains Unique powder in an HS hull with a Winchester primer, my son with his equipment was loading 13 grains of 20/28, Winchester primer in HS hulls and had the same problem. Switched to Claybuster wads and the problem went away for both of us. I guess that made me pretty certain that the wad was the cause of the problem. They worked fine 8 months of the year.

After a lot of folks said what great customer service he has I figured I would have heard back. Two emails and one phone call explaining exactly what I just wrote and then possing the question if he had any ideas for me. Don't know how a guy can be any nicer than that.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I prefer Down Range wads as I have been loading and shooting them for years. Both seem to work fine in my fixed choke barrels, but in my screw in choke barrels and ported barrels the CB leaves way too much plastic residue. I believe that DR uses a much better grade of plastic in their mfg. I also load and shoot 28ga. all year long with no issue. I load Win primers , Alliant Pro Reach powder, the DR PC 28 wad and 3/4 oz. of shot. Have never had a blooper even when shooting down in the teens. FWIW. Bill

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The downrange wad that replaces the
Remington TGT12, is the DRRT12.
The Blue Duster is closer to the,
Winchester WAA12
MG
Of course you are correct. I screwed that all up. The Blue Duster is a 1 1/8 oz. wad not a 1 oz. wad. I meant Green Duster. I thought the OP was looking for the 1 oz. DR wads that were closest to the AA12SL and the Rem TGT 12.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Of course you are correct. I screwed that all up. The Blue Duster is a 1 1/8 oz. wad not a 1 oz. wad. I meant Green Duster. I thought the OP was looking for the 1 oz. DR wads that were closest to the AA12SL and the Rem TGT 12.
The Green Duster is the 1oz version of the Winchester WAA12SL in the Duster Line of wads. The DRA12Pink is Downrange's clone of the Winchester WAA12SL.
They are very similar.
MG

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The Green Duster is the 1oz version of the Winchester WAA12SL in the Duster Line of wads. The DRA12Pink is Downrange's clone of the Winchester WAA12SL.
They are very similar.
MG
Similar yes, but not the same. As I mentioned up-thread, the pink DRA12 is made for the AAHS with bulky powders. The Green Duster, on the other hand, is more like the WAA12SL in terms of crush section height.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts