Trapshooters Forum banner

Clay targets to display on my work bench

1672 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Pat McKean
Hi I have a random question about clay targets. I was wondering if there is someone out there that makes replicas of a standard target to put on display. So for example a clay target that is made out of wood or aluminum, etc. Or does anyone know how to made a standard target unbreakable? I want to display them on my work bench. I searched google and didn’t have any luck.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,055 Posts
A friend made some wood ones when he first got his lathe. He donated them for prizes at our sporting clays shoot. He carved Spring 2003 on the top and also set the club pin on the top.
Talk to the local school if they have a wood shop with a lathe. Also check with any carpenters and/or wood workers.

I won a trophy that had a target on it. I Coated the inside with resin to set and harden. It is sitting on top of a cabinet in my living room. It has not been dropped yet so I am not sure how strong it is.

Just had a thought, fill one up with resin. If the resin comes out when it hardens, epoxy it back in the target. It will make a nice paper weight.

Jason

· Registered
136 Posts
I keep a clay on my desk in the office. Several have been broken over the years as people pick em' up and play with them. The look on their face when it breaks is priceless as they think they messed up your prized possession. I reach in the drawer and put another out. It's a HR friendly way to say "yeah I shoot guns" in today's politically correct office space and I've met several other shooters in my office because of it.

· Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I built a shadow box with my son's first broken target. Yes, it was stationary and he was very very young but it's the first one he broke and I saved it. Arts and craft stores like Michael's has styrofoam cut in various shapes and sizes. I picked the one that was closest to what I wanted and finished shaping with a knife to get the exact size of what I wanted to do. Spray painted it and adhered the pieces on it to get the look of the broken target. You could just get the foam and adhere it to the inside of the clay. I wouldn't be throwing it around on the workbench but should serve your purpose. Good luck and good shooting, Rey
Helmet Orange Jack-o'-lantern Sports gear Personal protective equipment

· Registered
1,075 Posts
I keep a clay on my desk in the office. Several have been broken over the years as people pick em' up and play with them. The look on their face when it breaks is priceless as they think they messed up your prized possession. I reach in the drawer and put another out. It's a HR friendly way to say "yeah I shoot guns" in today's politically correct office space and I've met several other shooters in my office because of it.
I'll pick up a few every now and then, take them home, spray paint them white then orange or green followed by a clear coat.
I'll give them out to shooters new to the clay sports when I take them out shooting. I tell them to put it up on a shelf and point at with your finger every now and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.