Trapshooters Forum banner

clay targets explosive

2466 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  ExFedex
Does anyone know how to load your White Flyer clay target into a fluorescent exploding target. I think they are really cool to see once you shoot at them and get a hit. I have been watching to much ISFF shoots. All their targets just explode when hit. Any help will be appreciated. thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
They're fairly easy to make. Requires some orange chalk, some paper, and some tape.

Take the orange chalk and crush it up into a powder. Then pour the powder into the top of the dome of the target til it is full. Then take some paper, cut it to the size of the orange dome, and tape it across the top. Make sure to tape it down well, so that way the orange chalk doesn't spill out, or the paper comes loose mid-flight. Bam. Flash targets.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
There's a ton of how-to's on YouTube with a few different techniques. All of them tedious and time consuming. The method I've used is line chalk (sometimes I can find Pink) and isopropyl. Unfortunately, since the Bio-weapon attack, isopropyl is so expensive it's almost not worth the show except for a special occasion. It works well and gives a good show.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Please explain why the use of isopropyl and how is it used?
A slurry of chalk powder in a small amount of alcohol, like pancake batter consistency. The chalk isn't miscible in alcohol so you have to agitate it just before the pour.

Isopropyl doesn't perturb the pitch and wicks off quickly. It sets the chalk pretty well (i've tried Naptha, denatured alcohol and straight thinners) and the chalk powders well on a hit. The worst part of this whole affair is when the birds are lost because young Johnny is still learning to shoot. But that's what it's all about. :)

· Registered
962 Posts
Been making these for years
As stated above I use line chalk but you can use other fine powders as well
Only fill the center crater about 1/2 full ... any more is a waste and too full will affect target flight.
Measure the diameter across the top of the ridge around the center crater and cut out news paper blanks / circles about 1/16", no more than 1/8" proud of ridge!
Put a small breed of Elmers glue on the top ridge all 360 degrees.
Place a sheet of news paper blank carefully centered on the ridge and pat down with finger then place a heavy hard covered book like dictionary on top and let sit overnight.
Works perfect!
OR you can buy a case of flash targets from white flyer!

· Registered
2,353 Posts
I seem to remember a company that made binary exploding targets similar to Tannerite, but more powerful and less sensitive and can be set off with low velocity rounds. They came with plastic cases about the same size as a #11 percussion caps tin to hold the explosive and you could stick them to paper or clay targets. I'm sure there's members here who have a better memory of them than I do.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
When I was building some of these powder filled clays I found that a certain size drink lid available at any fast food joint was a snap fit on an inner target ridge. That along with an electric glue gun made it quite simple. However; the young lady who ran our club at that time was not so impressed and as Jim R pointed out she let me know I would clean the trap machine and its house when the first one broke while in the machine.Don't do that any more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.