Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy gave me a lot of Neon DRXL1 wads. I also have Clay Dot powder. Couldn't find a lot of loads for these wads and looked on DR website. Here is a suggested load. For those who load this wad, does this seem about right?

STS Hulls, Win 209 primer, Neon DRXL1 1 oz. wads, 17gr Clay Dot, 1 oz. #8 which states 1300 fps and 8200 psi.

Does this look like a good 1 oz load with Clay Dot and this DR wad?

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also.....I couldn't find a Hornady bushing chart for Clay Dot...only Clays. It states that #441 bushing is 17 gr of Hodgon Clays. For clay dot users, is this a good starting bushing to test loads?

· Registered
116 Posts
I have used the following chart for wad subs:

as far as bushings - I start with the Clays bushing and start weighing drops to get close. I have not had a 1 to 1 match with clays and clay dot. I have a dillion now so I don't have the bushing issues.

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
The MEC number for 17 gr. of CD is #31. A #31 also drops 18.5 gr, of Red Dot. Looking at the Hornady chart for 18.5 gr. of Red Dot show ~#477 (using the interpolation method for half-grain numbers). A #477, therefore, will drop ~17 gr. of CD.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
I've been loading 1 oz. loads with Clay Dot for many years, and you will be fine with what you are using.

You need to verify the weight thrown with any bushing/powder using a powder scale. A bushing chart will get you close, but they are not totally accurate.

Also, with the load you list, I have serious doubts as to the 1300 fps speed. My experiences have been that it will be slower than that.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Been using that load for years, wonderful for singles and first barrel on doubles. I’ve had mine lab tested and it’s nowhere near 1300fps. I’m currently using a 435 Hornady bushing with my current jug of powder.

· Registered
95 Posts
I know you asked if it looked like a good load, and referred to a bushing, but as Claypoppy said, use the scale. There is a difference from one jug to another jug of powders across the board all manufacturers. Safest bet is to scale em! Don’t trust the bushings and their estimates. Just a reference to get you close is all. Have a great time trialing to get that perfect load! 😊

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you asked if it looked like a good load, and referred to a bushing, but as Claypoppy said, use the scale. There is a difference from one jug to another jug of powders across the board all manufacturers. Safest bet is to scale em! Don’t trust the bushings and their estimates. Just a reference to get you close is all. Have a great time trialing to get that perfect load! 😊
I always weigh my loads on Dillion digital to get exact drops of bushings. I just wanted a bushing folks are using for 1oz clay dot to get close to start testing as my original post stated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.