Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80...
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear some pros and cons of both of these types of voice release systems. To shoot by yourself, you need a one of these. Thanks Bernie

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Do you mean Clay Delay?

If so, I've had 4 or 5 of them over the years (at least 3 wireless ones, and at least 2 wired ones). Currently have the wireless skeet setup. I had some issues with the wireless ones in the past, but the issues were corrected promptly and courteously. My current setup has been flawless. They were also able to custom tune the "human lag" in mine for me. They are also pretty local to me (1.5hr away) so if I was ever in a bind, it could drop it off with them for service.

The ONLY thing the ventriloquist has over the clay delay is the "skeet sequence" which allows you to shoot a full round of skeet without pressing any buttons. This has never been an issue for me b/c I put the transmitter right next to my shell pouch, and hit the button as my hand goes back to grab another shell. I only load 1 shell at a time for skeet, but I could see where the auto-sequence could be an asset if you're a "two-holer" though.

If you're never going to use the voice release on the skeet field, they are otherwise identical, but the Clay Delay is about 1/2 the price for a comparable setup. You can even order the Clay Delay with auto-rearm, which would be useful for trap as you wouldn't have to push the button every time. I've know quite a few people including a friend of mine who had the ventriloquist, sold it, and bought a clay delay to replace it.

As I've said, I've had the wired and wireless versions. Actually using either isn't much different. But unrolling and re-rolling the wire every time you want to use it gets pretty old. If you can, spring for the wireless version, if not, the wired one isn't the end of the world, just a little bit of a pain.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Can't say any thing about the Clay Delay as I have never used one.

The Ventriloquist was developed by and is made and supported by shooters. Workmanship and service are second to none. You can get a trap only model or a skeet unit. The skeet set up will work with trap as well. The skeet unit is programmed for American and/or International sequence. I have 2 of the skeet units and have 4 extra trap transmitters, I can outfit a squad of trap shooters. You can set your unit to give you a no delay call (instant release) or a random delay to teach you not to move your gun until you see the target. Also, the Ventriloquist can be programmed so your transmitter works on your receiver and other shooters can't throw targets inadvertently for you. And, if you want to shoot with another shooter who has a Ventriloquist simply set your transmitter frequency to their receiver and there you go.

As I said earlier, when you call Ventriloquist you get one of the fellows on the phone who developed it and built it........plus the Ventriloquist folks shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays.

·
Premium Member
10,356 Posts
I have used both-- and own a clay delay

I prefer the clay delay

Each offers some particular options that are slightly different than the other

I have found the clay delay to be more reliable

Regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
cottondoctor- Everything you stated, to the letter, about the Ventriloquist also applies to the Clay Delay, with one exception.

The SOLE difference is Clay Delay doesn't offer the "skeet sequence". With the Clay Delay, you either have to hit the button to arm the trap every time, or, if your unit has the sequence, you can set it to "Rearm" which will remove the requirement to hit the button every time, but it will only throw the same target over and over (a high house or low house, or trap target), it will not throw a high, then a low, then a double, for that you have to press the button every time.

Clay Delay has also provided sponsorship money and products to a number of different skeet shoots that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have had a ventriloquist for six or seven years. NO ISSUES!! Mine is on the line each Wednesday for three or four hours with the MSU Shooting Sports team and college kids can be rough. This unit give far more practice options than C.D. Service, IF you ever need it, is excellent. The guy who developed and made the unit takes the call and insures that you are satisfied. I would not change any function on the unit. There is a member at our club that moved here and brought a C.D. He uses mu unit about half the time. I am sure this is the exception but it is true. I believe what is posted above about C.D.---Maybe they work better in colder climates! (lol)

Do your self a favor, spend the money and get the best!

Jim Porter
Coach, MSU Shooting Sports Club

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
ventriloquist from the factory has pulls that are almost to perfect, but they will tweak it for your liking.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
We have wireless Clay Delay units for skeet and trap at our club.
It's great for trap practice because you can shoot from any post or yard line without moving any equipment.

I recommend them for price, quality, ease of use, and support .

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bernie,

I know a lot about the Ventriloquist, should anyway I have been making them since 1992. If you do anything right long enough there will always be competitors who come along and share the market. There have been a several come and go through the years. I plan on being around a long time still.

I never knew there were so many Ventriloquist experts around, tis funny some of them don't seem to show up in my records as ever having purchased one?

I will be happy to discuss what I know about the Ventriloquist.

800-445-3038 9AM-7PM CST

Michael Goines

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I don't understand the sarcasm. I didn't read anything derogatory about the Ventriloquist. Seems to me Clay Delay got successful on their own. I don't think they rode in on anyone's coattails.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
And just a general FYI, Clay Delay has been around since at least 2001, that was the first time I met Bill Kray, the owner/president/inventor of the Clay Delay, when he was showing a friend of mine what he had been working on @ the Grand in Vandalia.

So its not like they're a new fly by night company.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Earlier this year I purchased a wireless "Clay Delay" unit to be used for Trap & Skeet.
I use the "Rearm" function for my practice rounds almost exclusively. Using it allows me to not only use it for "High House" or a continual run of "Low House" birds but for my "Doubles" practice as well.
Whatever function you supply the transmitter ex: a High & a Low" (double), it repeats until you change the instructions for the transmitter.
A Great unit & Highly recommended.
J.C.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i have had the wired and now have the wireless clay delay and I love it. I also have the hand held wireless unit so that an entire squad can be wireless (skeet) as well. Love not having the cord to drag around.

1st class operation and will help you with questions.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have the wireless Clay Delay. It's the one with all the bells and whistles, most of which I have never used! It works great and I am very satisfied with the quality of the unit.

Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts