Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won my class at the empire grand in doubles. I see the rules of the shoot state that any class winner will be advanced at least one class.

Does this mean I automatically go from c to b, regardless of my average or does the class advancement only apply to the subsequent events at the empire grand, and then after the empire grand is over, I stay in c?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I won my class at the empire grand in doubles. I see the rules of the shoot state that any class winner will be advanced at least one class.

Does this mean I automatically go from c to b, regardless of my average or does the class advancement only apply to the subsequent events at the empire grand, and then after the empire grand is over, I stay in c?
Class advancement only for subsequent events at that shoot.

The next shoot you go to you will be classed by your average. They may bump you up if you have a streak of good scores.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Congrats on the win! I don’t have the program in front of me where the rules for that shoot are detailed but many shoots will automatically advance you one class for the remainder of that shoot.

You should mark that class advance on your average card along with your score. At future shoots a savvy classifier will take that score and win into account when determining your proper classification.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Average cards aren't marked for wins or ties. Haven't been for a few years now. And, there is no longer a column on the card for that information.

Reason I keep my scores in an Excel document. I keep an average for my handicap too. I gave additional columns for total birds shot at as well. Getting older, I let my I-Pad do the math. Write in the result on my paper “average card,” then print out a new “average card” from the ATA website every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Average cards aren't marked for wins or ties. Haven't been for a few years now. And, there is no longer a column on the card for that information.
Yes, but as I alluded to there is a column for 'class' to be recorded. If I see an increase in class, especially at the same shoot, I will take that into account when classifying. It doesn't matter though since no one fills out their card correctly anymore.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

A lot of shooters will not shoot preliminary events because of this. Especially those that are on the bottom of their current class. This advancement would be almost a 2 class jump if you are on the bottom of your current class average wise.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
[QUOTE="sujumanji, post: 8510451, member: 32901"

It doesn't matter though since no one fills out their card correctly anymore.[/QUOTE]

No one at the classifying desks wants to look at them anymore, they rely on the data shown to them on computer after they enter membership number. I quit offering to show it even though I have it in my hand.

Reactions: Cowboy Rick

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
[QUOTE="sujumanji, post: 8510451, member: 32901"

It doesn't matter though since no one fills out their card correctly anymore.
No one at the classifying desks wants to look at them anymore, they rely on the data shown to them on computer after they enter membership number. I quit offering to show it even though I have it in my hand.[/QUOTE]

I don’t disagree with you. My procedure this summer to classify shooters has been to simply ask them their ATA # and solely rely on the data in the computer. That way we don’t have to pass items back and forth and I can be socially distant from hundreds of shooters.

But to your point, what came first the chicken or the egg? Did classifiers stop asking because literally know one filled out their cards correctly or did shooters stop filling them out because classifiers stop asking? I’m quite sure it was the former.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's funny you say that, when I classified I was placed in the wrong class because they looked at the computer and not my card. I had to correct them because two very recent shoots bumped me up a class that have not shown up on the system yet, but we're recorded by me on my card

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
No one at the classifying desks wants to look at them anymore, they rely on the data shown to them on computer after they enter membership number. I quit offering to show it even though I have it in my hand.
I don’t disagree with you. My procedure this summer to classify shooters has been to simply ask them their ATA # and solely rely on the data in the computer. That way we don’t have to pass items back and forth and I can be socially distant from hundreds of shooters.

But to your point, what came first the chicken or the egg? Did classifiers stop asking because literally know one filled out their cards correctly or did shooters stop filling them out because classifiers stop asking? I’m quite sure it was the former.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is a 50-50 deal? I always and still keep up my card.

It's funny you say that, when I classified I was placed in the wrong class because they looked at the computer and not my card. I had to correct them because two very recent shoots bumped me up a class that have not shown up on the system yet, but we're recorded by me on my card
That problem no doubt occurs because score submission to the ATA by the clubs does not happen soon enough.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Yes, but as I alluded to there is a column for 'class' to be recorded. If I see an increase in class, especially at the same shoot, I will take that into account when classifying. It doesn't matter though since no one fills out their card correctly anymore.
Wrong . I fill my average card out after every new day of shooting . Have for 36+ years of shooting and 586,850 ATA targets . I fully know I`m in the minority though . But there are a few others that do also .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts