Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I shot the first two rounds of trap with my new to me Citori XT combo today. I fired it with the O/U barrels one round on each one.
Every time I fire the gun I can hear but more so feel a vibration almost like a spring going boing. I brought the gun back home and thoroughly inspected it “under magnification” the rib and area between the barrels for flaws.
I removed the recoil pad and inspected for any type of recoil reducer and checked the bolt that attaches the stock to the receiver. The lock up smooth is very tight, and I can’t duplicate this noise by slapping the gun with my palm anywhere along its length.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it something that’s normal with a high rib Citori?

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I had it with a soft touch on my gun, wrapped electrical tape around spring and it went away.
Have not heard of this with a gun with no recoil reducer.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So I shot the first two rounds of trap with my new to me Citori XT combo today. I fired it with the O/U barrels one round on each one.
Every time I fire the gun I can hear but more so feel a vibration almost like a spring going boing. I brought the gun back home and thoroughly inspected it “under magnification” the rib and area between the barrels for flaws.
I removed the recoil pad and inspected for any type of recoil reducer and checked the bolt that attaches the stock to the receiver. The lock up smooth is very tight, and I can’t duplicate this noise by slapping the gun with my palm anywhere along its length.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it something that’s normal with a high rib Citori?
have someone else shoot it and see if they have the same feeling that you do.
jack mc

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I agree with Eddie, sounds like the rib or barrels have begun to separate. If you hang the barrels by the forend hanger hook on the bottom of the barrels and "ting" it with your finger does it ring or is it a dead sound?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Could have something to do with inerntia setting the 2nd trigger to fire but in wouldn't hurt to magna flux the barrel for cracks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies, I’m going out to the club today and I will ask a few of the other shooters to fire it. I know several guys out there that own XT’s, maybe they will be around. My Citori field gun doesn’t feel at all like this, it really surprised me on the first shot.

It had the same vibration from the first shot all thru the first round on the lower barrel. I had to wait a few rounds for my next turn and than it was the same story on the upper barrel. Today I will also try a few shots with the top single barrel and see what that does.

The barrels when detached and hung do have a nice ring to them in every location I tapped them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It would be if interesting to see if you it after the second shot.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My guess is the top lever, though why now unless having to do with the top lever spring. Try firing two shots quickly and see if the noise stops abruptly when the second shot is fired. A harmonic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you to everyone that replied I do appreciate your opinions.

Well the consensus is in, and I’m happy to say that I believe the gun is fine. I let two very experienced trap shooters try it and they don’t feel or hear anything unusual. Now I did through clean and lubricate the gun yesterday after shooting it.

I could still hear something like a boing every time I fired it at the berm when testing and trying to diagnosis it, even on doubles but it was much less pronounced and the felt vibration was all but gone. But I could not hear it standing next to it when someone else is shooting.

So I shot my first round of trap and I had run out of Walmart bulk pack Winchester #8 shells so I shot a box of Reo #8’s. The boing changed to an audible but more pleasing ping on every shot and the felt vibration was gone. The next round I ran thru a box of Supra’s 3 ¼ Dram 1 1/8 # 8’s, a few guys out there recommend them for inexpensive heavy handicap loads. Well now it’s still a ping but the tone is different and it’s barely audible and I had still had no felt vibration.

At this point I’m convinced it’s barrel harmonics and for some reason the other shooters can’t hear it, maybe I’m hyper sensitive to that tone frequency? I’ve never heard this on my old Citori field gun that I have been using for trap. Several shooters out there told me that they have experienced similar noises on other high rib guns.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I spent some time scrolling through previous threads on the PGCA site, but couldn't find the old post about a Parker that went "boing". The consensus was vibration of the top lever/locking bolt assembly or the extractors, and not uncommon.

Reactions: ISBRAM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'd probably be surprised at how different kinds of hearing protection can filter frequencies and attenuate sounds to produce all kinds of odd harmonics.
That’s very interesting you mention that as I usually wear a ball cap and Peltor Tactical 6S Electronic Headset, as it helps me converse and hear range commands much better. However I wanted to wear some additional sun protection the last few times I went shooting, so I switched to a wide brimmed hat and good quality reusable ear plugs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent some time scrolling through previous threads on the PGCA site, but couldn't find the old post about a Parker that went "boing". The consensus was vibration of the top lever/locking bolt assembly or the extractors, and not uncommon.
Thanks; I may go ahead and remove the stock and preform a thorough cleaning and inspection, I’ve done it on my other Citori a few times.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Maybe it's the battery springs in your Peltors?:rolleyes: Peltors are good hearing protectors, but almost always hit the stock. Is it as noisy as an AR?

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
227 Posts
What if you tried dry firing it? Watch the top lever when you do it and see if it's moving. You can dry fire the second barrel by flipping the safety back and forward. You don't have to bump the gun. All safety precautions apply, etc.

Just something else to try while you agonize away. I agonize about everything though.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thank you to everyone that replied I do appreciate your opinions.

Well the consensus is in, and I’m happy to say that I believe the gun is fine. I let two very experienced trap shooters try it and they don’t feel or hear anything unusual. Now I did through clean and lubricate the gun yesterday after shooting it.

I could still hear something like a boing every time I fired it at the berm when testing and trying to diagnosis it, even on doubles but it was much less pronounced and the felt vibration was all but gone. But I could not hear it standing next to it when someone else is shooting.

So I shot my first round of trap and I had run out of Walmart bulk pack Winchester #8 shells so I shot a box of Reo #8’s. The boing changed to an audible but more pleasing ping on every shot and the felt vibration was gone. The next round I ran thru a box of Supra’s 3 ¼ Dram 1 1/8 # 8’s, a few guys out there recommend them for inexpensive heavy handicap loads. Well now it’s still a ping but the tone is different and it’s barely audible and I had still had no felt vibration.

At this point I’m convinced it’s barrel harmonics and for some reason the other shooters can’t hear it, maybe I’m hyper sensitive to that tone frequency? I’ve never heard this on my old Citori field gun that I have been using for trap. Several shooters out there told me that they have experienced similar noises on other high rib guns.
told you so.

jack mc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts