Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This hardly qualifies as "Gun smithing", but as a tip for owners trying to remove their stock.

There have been tips to somehow AVOID getting the big flat blade screwdriver between the bolt head and the wood.
OK, so you COULD split the stock if you have NO sense or feeling for when a screwdriver is IN or OUT of THE SLOT.

This works, or at least it did on mine.
A short length, about 8 inches, of regular 1/2 inch copper water pipe makes a nice guide.
NOT the thick type, the hardware store usually carry type L and type M, you want whichever one is the thin wall one.

- and obviously you need a screwdriver longer than the piece of pipe, Kobalt (Lowes house brand) has a nice 16 inch one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
A little off topic, but Type M is the thinner pipe. It is used for heating only. The thinner pipe transfers heat more quickly. It is not rated for pressures of domestic water. Type L is thicker and is used for household (domestic) plumbing. Just some FYI for everyone.
Some do it yourselfers see the cheaper price of M compared to L in Home Depot and use it for household plumbing. It will fail and cause alot of problems and grief.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just FYI 1/2 EMT is the correct size to fit around the slotted head screw, also.
As mentioned, I cut a length of it, slid it over the screw driver and use it for a guide to put the screw driver on the head of the screw.
For those not familiar with EMT, it is the metal tubing used for commercial wiring conduit. EMT/ Electrical Metal Tubing

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I guess I'm not good with a screwdriver, not much call for a screwdriver in my job. I had a machinist fix it too have 5 mm hex end. Now I don't have to fool with that shallow screw slot. He even fixed me two guides that goes on my Perazzi stock wrench to keep it centered.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This all started when I decided (more accurate to say that my SHOULDER decided) to get a PFS stock.
Since one of the grand-brats also uses this gun I anticipated swapping the wooden one on and off fairly frequently - and if HE gets to it before I do, well.... Y' know.

The PFS is on right now and I will almost certainly get a hex head bolt.
In the mean time I found that Home Depot were selling 2 ft lengths of black water pipe for $0.80, so I bought one of those and cut a 7 inch piece off of it for this purpose.
The copper pipe is sharp and at some point would almost certainly have put a moon chip on the wood.

Not REALLY an OCD type, but I just had to store whichever stock is off the gun somehow.
Laugh all you want, but Walmart has a nice little cup cake carrier that either stock fits in with all the PFS tools and manual, also the screwdriver and pipe.

Oh yeah, Lowes had the 8 inch Craftsman screwdriver for 4 or 5 bucks - also the 12 and 16 for a bit more, but I got the 8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts