Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who shoot older citoris, I guess this is a question pertaining more so to you than anyone else.
I've been looking for quite awhile for a good condition older model citori trap gun for sale in a Ontario; but with no luck. Anytime I get a lead on one, it ends up getting sold before I make a serious decision.
It seems (where I'm from) the 30" barrels are more common than the 32". Note: I'll only be using a gun like this for trap singles at my local club, & maybe the occasional doubles (but not often).
My question is: is it worth my while to just get an older model field citori as opposed to a trap gun with a Monte Carlo stock? Worst case scenario, I'd just have to build up the comb of the stock to shoot a bit higher. Also, should I be looking @ one with fixed or removable chokes? As long as there's a full I don't really mind either way, but..
Let me know your thoughts on this, thanks again;
-ithaca

·
Registered
772 Posts
If your primary use will be for singles at your club, why not look for a nice BT-99? Either 32" or 34" fixed or choke tubes - should work well for you. Just an opinion. -Ed

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your primary use will be for singles at your club, why not look for a nice BT-99? Either 32" or 34" fixed or choke tubes - should work well for you. Just an opinion. -Ed
My main gun for trap that I use now is an 1100 competition synthetic that I have set up shooting 60/40. I'm torn between a citori or a bt, either way I'd like to get an older one & use as a back up or "fun gun" on occasion! So yes, I've considered your opinion, thanks for your reply Ed,
-ithaca

·
Registered
22,892 Posts
Those of you who shoot older citoris, I guess this is a question pertaining more so to you than anyone else.
I've been looking for quite awhile for a good condition older model citori trap gun for sale in a Ontario; but with no luck. Anytime I get a lead on one, it ends up getting sold before I make a serious decision.
It seems (where I'm from) the 30" barrels are more common than the 32". Note: I'll only be using a gun like this for trap singles at my local club, & maybe the occasional doubles (but not often).
My question is: is it worth my while to just get an older model field citori as opposed to a trap gun with a Monte Carlo stock? Worst case scenario, I'd just have to build up the comb of the stock to shoot a bit higher. Also, should I be looking @ one with fixed or removable chokes? As long as there's a full I don't really mind either way, but..
Let me know your thoughts on this, thanks again;
-ithaca

You can build a stock with Bondo and Dowel rods and the judicious use of a wood rasp and sanding block that will serve pretty well for all your singles and doubles shooting on the older field gun. A field stock is often the basis for the 'builder' stock or 'try' stock that a custom stockmaker will build up to fit you before he makes it from expensive Turkish Walnut. Once you get the stock close to fit you can cover the stock cheek with clear Scotch package tape to keep it from eating your meat cheek and shoot your 100 straights all day with it. The IM/F or F/IM depending on how it is bored will suit just fine for singles or doubles. I preferred to shoot bottom bbl first for singles but you can shoot either way. Until I got my P gun I used an XT with screw chokes because that was what I found to buy but my P gun is fixed chokes and I like it better. You might find yourself shooting everything with the O/U simply because once you get used to it the 'swing' is very nice.

DT

Reactions: Ithaca900skb

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can build a stock with Bondo and Dowel rods and the judicious use of a wood rasp and sanding block that will serve pretty well for all your singles and doubles shooting on the older field gun. A field stock is often the basis for the 'builder' stock or 'try' stock that a custom stockmaker will build up to fit you before he makes it from expensive Turkish Walnut. Once you get the stock close to fit you can cover the stock cheek with clear Scotch package tape to keep it from eating your meat cheek and shoot your 100 straights all day with it. The IM/F or F/IM depending on how it is bored will suit just fine for singles or doubles. I preferred to shoot bottom bbl first for singles but you can shoot either way. Until I got my P gun I used an XT with screw chokes because that was what I found to buy but my P gun is fixed chokes and I like it better. You might find yourself shooting everything with the O/U simply because once you get used to it the 'swing' is very nice.

DT
30" or 32"; what do you recommend?

-ithaca

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used a 425 field for a long time. Had the comb worked to be adjustable (I need the cast off) and a recoil pad added.

When I came to the realization I was artificially forcing a 60/40 -- 70/30 poi by pulling the gun into my shoulder and back, in order to avoid the problem of covering targets and then stopping the swing, I bought a bt-99. Much better

I kept the 425 for sporting clays and hunting

·
Registered
22,892 Posts
30" or 32"; what do you recommend?

-ithaca
I like 32 but a 30 suits a smaller person just fine. If you watch there are a lot of very good shooters running with a 30 inch gun. The gun looks tiny in their hands but their scores are high. One of the short gun shooters is Mike Herman but then sometimes I think he is a freak of nature. His son and daughter shoot high scores too.

DT

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Browning barrels are heavy. While Beretta barrels are fine at 32", I feel 30" barrels are best for a Citori. However, if you are happy with the heavy 30" Probore barrel on your 1100, which I feel make the gun muzzle heavy, then you'll probably be happy with a 32" barrel on a Citori.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I can't find a trap citori for a good price, did they ever make the field ones with 32" barrels, or was 30" the longest for a field gun? That's all I've seen so far.
-ithaca

·
Registered
917 Posts
A word of advice - if you're not doing it. The way I find guns is NOT in the For Sale sections - everybody looks there and you've got to be on it immediately to have a chance. Post in the Want to Buy section and you often have a captured audience on someone responding. You'll have first crack at it and if others see any response they'll usually get in line behind you (if they're nice guys) - if you don't want the gun. I've bought a couple Browning Citori guns this way - recently. You might even ask responders to PM you - to take it one step further.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
Good Advice by DC there. If I were you I would wait for the gun I wanted, not what was available now!!! The 32 inch barrel O/U is a perfect target gun for all 3 games. I would also recommend that you buy only a invector plus barrel gun. Most brownings all shoot the same!!!, so the biggest difference is the stock dimensions and the forearm types. The blued guns from the 90's should all be priced in the low range. Do some checking of stock dimensions of these older guns to see which ones would suit you. Then you'll know right away if you want a gun when it comes up for sale. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Advice by DC there. If I were you I would wait for the gun I wanted, not what was available now!!! The 32 inch barrel O/U is a perfect target gun for all 3 games. I would also recommend that you buy only a invector plus barrel gun. Most brownings all shoot the same!!!, so the biggest difference is the stock dimensions and the forearm types. The blued guns from the 90's should all be priced in the low range. Do some checking of stock dimensions of these older guns to see which ones would suit you. Then you'll know right away if you want a gun when it comes up for sale. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
-ithaca

·
Registered
97 Posts
Btw-- I shot my older 425 today for the first time in a while. It has regular boring on the forcing cone. I had been shooting a bt-99 with the vector pro lengthened forcing cone. I really noticed the difference in recoil.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
That's one of the reasons I mentioned the invector plus barrels. They have a over=bored barrel with reduced forcing cones and a pro-ported barrel. The combination of these three additions do lighten the felt recoil of any load used. Many trap shooters say that there is no need for a ported barrel shooting trap, because it is a single shot game and it is not needed. But you still must see the broken bird right after you pull the trigger, just as the barrel rises because of the shot charge, thus making it harder to see. Hence this can cause a single shot shooter to lift his/her head immediately after a shot to see the broken target!!! This can/and in many cases does lead to lifting the head before pulling the trigger. This will result in lost targets that are spread out during the entire day!!! . Because you will never even know you lifted your head before the shot. So Ported Barrels really help to reduce this problem, because they really do allow the shooter to see the target much better just after the shot.
Also overbored barrels do help keep more shot pellets inside of the pattern,. this can help break more targets. A lighter recoiling gun can also help break more targets. Browning gives all 3 types of shooters of these helpful additions in all there guns for no extra charge. So Why not make use of them. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
143 Posts
Field guns and trap guns do not shoot the same. I have 2 Browning Citori Plus guns with 32" barrels one I shoot all the time plus a back up. The Plus guns are adjustable and a pleasure to shoot. I have borrowed a 30" barreled Citori Plus to shoot doubles with and the only difference was it swing speed was faster due to the short barrel. I've had a couple of Bt99's before buying the Citori Plus and the Plus is a much better gun. There is a Bt99 Plus that is as adjustable as a Citori Plus that I've heard shoots as good as the Citori but I wanted a double.
If you should find one I wouldn't hesitate much more than a couple of minutes on it or it will be gone. Try the members for sale section here and on Gunbroker.com they do show up from time to time. If you don't like the gun for some reason you can always sell it for what you paid for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts